MetaDefender for Secure Access Malware Scanner: free multi-AV cloud memory scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MrBrian, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

http://www.opswat.com/products/metadefender-for-secure-access

It is a small download and requires no installation. It scans memory only. Unknown (by hash) files are uploaded for scanning.

AV engines used: ClamWin, ESET, Norman, QuickHeal and Virusbuster. There are conflicting statements at http://www.opswat.com/products/malware-scanner about the number of engines included in the free version. It's not clear if all five of these engines are used in the free version, or just one is.

There is also a paid version.

Prior mention: Free Beta Demo of OPSWAT MD4SA Process Scanner.

2. MrBrian

I tested the free version with some malware, and can verify that the program does work as intended.

A statement shown when running the program indicates that 5 AV engines are used in the free version.

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Looks like a promising one..:)

4. MrBrian

Since the scan takes less than 10 seconds on my computer, I agree :thumb:. It will take longer though if there are unknown executables in memory, because those will be uploaded.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

6. MrBrian

In the malware test that I did, the malware name given by the program was the same one that ESET gave to it at VirusTotal, so ESET indeed could be one of the vendors used in the free version.

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Certainly,if they can get a couple of better engines onboard to compliment ESET.

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

IMHO, Virusbuster is doing pretty good these days and its just beginning, who know..!!;)

9. MrBrian

Since the scan time is very fast (unless there are unknown files, which need to be uploaded) and no installation is needed, I see this program as a nice complement to Hitman Pro. Hitman Pro doesn't use ESET as one of its cloud scanners.

Are there any other on-demand cloud scanners that scan multiple files at a time?

10. MrBrian

I advise to run the program with admin privileges if you can (it doesn't request admin privileges). In my virtual machine with admin privileges the program reports that 432 modules were scanned. Without admin privileges the program reports that 214 modules were scanned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.