messed up with partioning

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Huupi, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

hi, I messed up at partioning (schrinking C and expanding D) it works but in the proces i moved C behind D and D became the first partion on disk ( but not set active),obviously thereafter can't boot so i put a backup from SP back again but because of changings in partion layout it does not work so i deleted the volumes within the recovery enviroment and eventually i recovered my :C then at boot there was no FDISR bootscreen instead booting straight into windows with a BSOD with a stopmessage Returnil RSS.SYS driver conflict, and cannot even boot into safemode so i recovered an image way back in time with NO Returnil on it but after boot same problems and strangely with the Returnil driverproblem back again.[how is this possible ? hmm maybe Returnil protecting something ?] but in short i can't boot not even into safemode so i was thinking to zero the disk and then recover with a SP image,my question is because i can't boot at all, how to zero the disk and then to put back the image ?

Thanks.

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

What is your hard disk manufacturer?
    Most like Hitachi, Weastern Digital, Seagate and Samsung provide the necessary tools for wiping their disks.

I do not think that you should wipe the entire disk. Only the MBR should be enough. If SP gives you the ability to restore the MBR of the disk, try it first. But you should boot from an external CD or floppy and not from the disk.
    After that reboot the system and try to restore with your restoration app.

ps. What SP stands for?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Which options are you using on restore. I always use restore MBR from iage and track 0. Two other questions. 1st is it a raid 0 system, or any other disk system requiring special drivers. 2nd. Do you have a windows XP CD

BTW SP is ShadowProtect

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

For sure i have several Shadow Protect backups that work because i always restore after backups are made.Now because the whole thing becomes too difficult to deal with,i am after a more straightforward solution as told in my previous post namely to erase (zeroing) that disk and thereafter to put an SP image back,but are there pittfalls on the road to do this,before i start i like to hear about these traps.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I use the same options,and it is no raid and sadly only the OEM made CD's,but as already said imaging was never a problem until now,windows won't boot,there is no FDISR bootscreen and BSOD with stoperror about conflicting Returnal driver RSS.SYS and even Safeboot is no option.

6. Peter2150

Duh. When you do the restore, first I assume you select the image. Then do this. On the drive you are trying to restore, right click on that disk. Select delete volume. After that your disk will show unformated, and unallocated. Right click it again, and select create exact primary partition.

What you have done is deleted the old partition, and then recreated a new one from the image.

Then put a check mark in the disks box and proceed with the restore. This should help.

Pete

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I have done what you said Peter but no go, if i rightclick on the disk second time then you have four options 1) create exact partition at the beginning of the free space. 2) create exact partition at the end of the free space.I choose 1), is this the right choise ?the other options are not relevant i think.In short if i boot then there is no FdISR boot screen,booting straight into windows,almost immediately i get BSOD with the error message returnal driver conflict stopcode : 0x000000D4 (0xBA050940,0x000000FF,0x00000001,0x80545C29) Rss.SYS. So i am at a loss what to do any further !?? The only thing i can do now is to boot the SP recovery CD i have no original windows CD to the rescue.the thing thats nagging me is i have good clean backups at hand but can't restore.

8. Peter2150

Sounds like you are in a similiar mess to what I had. Both recovery disks, and Windows CD were Blue Screening.

If your disk manufacturer has a disk wiping utility, I'd try that, or else Derek's boot and nuke. DBAN. Wipe the disk, getting rid of the partition,mbr, everything. Then you should be able to restore a good image.

Pete

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hi Pete, if i do that can i then get rid of this annoying stoperror related to Returnil. At the time i created and restored the backup with Returnil on it,then there where no problems at all.

10. Peter2150

Yes, it should be okay, if there were no problems when you imaged.

Another thought. Do you have any software that is automatically updating. That also could cause a problem even when you restore a good image.

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

12. Peter2150

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Peter if i get it,so there is no need for format beforehand and also partitioning is read from the image thus i can recover the image to a completely blank drive,is that what you ment to say ?

14. Peter2150

Yes indeed. Keep us posted.

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Bad Bad Bad,after a wipe that that toke over 8 hours and sucsessive restore which seem oke,and then at boot same old problems as in previous post,no FDISR boot screen,straight boot into windows and a BSOD at same time and yes this nagging stoperror related to Returnildriver,very strange because the drive was completely zeroed out as confirmed at the end of the session by software message,there is no problem with the backupimage cause it previously restored oke. only i can think of it has something to do with Returnildriver hiding itself somewhere in the filesystem and doing a very good job at that! btw the image i restored has NO Returnil on it.I am completely at a loss what to do next.

16. Peter2150

Why don't you PM Coldmoon and ask him. He's a rep with Returnil. Then maybe you can look at the image mounted from the recovery environment and see if you can find it.

If it's not in the image that is a puzzle indeed.

pete

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I already PM him and pointing him to this thread.

18. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Sorry if you have already tried this.

after using DBAN are you able to install from your windows disk ?
    if so I would install windows and then install returnil. Then unistall returnil and finally try to restore from your image.

just guessing that some part of returnil survives and that it is conflicting with FD-ISR. loading windows to install reurnil and then uninstall might remove it completely.

19. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello Huupi,
    Please see your PM and I will point the team towards this thread.

Mike

20. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Sadly, like so many victums by the big vendors i have no original windows CD,only recovery's full with lame stuff.But what you said is true if only..........
    But now i am waiting for Coldmoon to merge in this thread.

21. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

At the moment i am in no way out of this hassle but it amased me that these Returnil driver can stand the torture unleased on him,protecting himself even against zeroing the disk, so how hard it is to kill these driver such as with the killdisk virus or whatever. I am in touch with Coldmoon to look for a way out and let you know about progress in these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.