Memory

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rico, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

All my articles are open to peer review. Ergo, there.
    HTML is just as good as two-column pdf.
    Mrk

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Update - removed the two 512 mb simms, replaced with 2 1024 mb simms. Windows system reports 4 gb mem.

Okay: My defense or shields were ( 360safe IS, MBAM pro, MBAM Anti Exploit, & Private FW)

Trialed - DW (this is a 32 bit machine), then removed all, but 360safe. NOT best config, so far.

Next - 360safe, Shadow Defender, MBAE, & private FW Wow! this config light & breezy

What do you think drop "private FW" use, Vista FW (gots router FW). Speedier or not?

Also I understand SD is like Captain Kirk saying shields up, (going on the internet or email), when going into Romanian, territory.

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

There is nothing wrong with Windows own Firewall. Besides it is already in there. Speed is not really a factor with firewalls. Ports are blocked or open by whatever firewall is installed when the system boots. So there is no "reaction time". If anything, a 3rd party firewall consumes disk space, RAM and CPU cycles (albeit, small amounts of each) that, "in theory" could impact performance but in practice, are not likely too - UNLESS the 3rd party firewall is full of fluff and extra features you, and 99% of the rest of the world, just don't need. And sadly, foisting extra resource hogging junk on our systems is something 3rd party makers love to do. :(

I stick to my previous advice. WF, Windows Defender in W8, MSE in W7, along with MBAM for supplemental scanning, keeping Windows and all installed programs fully updated in a timely manner, and good user discipline (not being "click happy" on unsolicited links, downloads, and attachments) will keep you safe. This is the exact configuration I have had on all my W7 and W8 systems (and a couple dozen more we have responsibility for) since Oct 2009 (when W7 was released and we migrated, finally, away from XP). That is, over 30 systems I have direct support responsibility for - with no, zero, zilch malware incidents. And how do we know? Because we have a primary real-time anti-malware scanner (WD/MSE) installed and running, and a supplemental scanner (MBAM) installed that is used to verify nothing got by the primary real-time anti-malware solution, and to verify we the users and weakest links, did not open a door and let a badguy in.

4. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

did you had problems on romanian sites? or, i guess, you meant "romulan" territory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.