Memory Problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BALTAGY, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

I can't be 100%sure on this but this memory hogging bug, may have something to do with the self defense option being enabled /disabled, as for testing i have disabled this option , and so far eset hasn't hogged more than 95mbit of ram, apart from beifly, but did unload some to take the total below 95mbit, but further testing is needed ,
    I have one question is it normal for eset ekrn.exe to increase mem usage every time i load a web page ?

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello tommy456
    Yes, there will always be a slight memory increment when you load a new website or multiple tabs. . As to my humble knowledge, ekrn.exe is used to scan network traffic for malware by using the ESET kernel service, the ekrn.exe, as an internal proxy server. I took a screenshot of the memory usage of my ekrn.exe before I went to three websites. I opened Vimeo, Bing; and astronomy.com in IE9 64 bit. I noticed as expected, just a slight increment in memory. Just for the record, when I close the browser memory went back to normal, quite fast actually.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  3. tommy456

ekrn.exe on XP sp3 X86 increases ,but fails to release this memory after browsers are closed it then accumulates to higher than normal amounts , but with the self defense disabled a quick kill in windows task man sorts it out but is only a temp workaround solution , so that's no Https/ssl scanning for firefox (been broken since launch of v5) and more recently WUS and now a memory leak, plus as i write this post using IE7 only this page open ekrn.exe is at 95.636 k

4. BALTAGY

BALTAGY Registered Member

same problem of memory leak on v6 RC, system up time 1 day and 4 hours and ekrn.exe take 161 MB

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

But I thought that it was confirmed that this issue had been fixed, or is the fix coming in a later build? :doubt:

6. BALTAGY

that's before the RC Build

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes. Wich is why I thought that the fix should already be included in the RC release. :)

8. BALTAGY

because it had the same problem of v5.x and i reported it before RC release and for sure must be fixed

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes. But clearly it's not fixed since you have reported that the problem persists in the RC build, no? :doubt:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

using the v6 rc on three systems and zero memory issues. actually i have firefox open right now with 4 pages open and actually im AMAZED at low the usage is see attached pic.

Attached Files:

11. SCORPION2000

SCORPION2000 Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  12. encus

encus Registered Member

32 tabs? :eek:

13. SCORPION2000

SCORPION2000 Registered Member

Yeah i know...its was a slow day...i use to have more close to 50 tabs :D

14. encus

encus Registered Member

:thumb:

15. terradon

terradon Registered Member

Even when XP was released way back in 2001, it was a graphical interface cobbled on top of DOS. DOS is even more ancient having been written for the first IBM PCs that were released back in 1981. It's not a surprise that memory is not managed well and released when it "should" be. What is surprising is that people continue to use such an archaic OS and then complain that a program that taps into the lowest levels of the OS doesn't work as well as expected.

I have not seen the issue on Win7 64bit.

16. BALTAGY

i tried it in winXP and Win7 32Bit and 64Bit

17. tommy456

Most of the issues are displayed on both WIN7 & XP so have nothing to do with how old the o/s happens to be , the issue with ssl scanning and firefox has never been properly fixed since they released V5 I have had more issues with ESS V5 on Win 7 than on XP and this is the first time esset has hogged lots of memory simple EKRN.EXE has a memory leak and it needs fixing screw V6

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What issue do you mean? V5.2 as well as Enpoint product scan https communication in Firefox fine.

19. tommy456

Well until i selected the pre release update option it didn't work, all HTTPS web pages would no longer load after i accepted the associated security certs in firefox, but that has been an issue since v5 was launched but v5.2also has blocked windows update on both xp and win7 but by excluding svchost.exe from ssl filtering windows update works without issue which is what i also did with firefox and the plugin container, has all the addons where blocked from updating too by eset
    But now i'm using the pre release option, it seems to be working for now, but there are no modules with a P where as if i swap back to the default set of modules there are a few which display a P before the date ect
    The memory leak is not fixed, and some I.P addresses are displayed in reverse with the "in-addr.arpa" after the IP is this a new feature example :

bbc.co.uk = 212.58.241.131 but also displays the same address like this 131.241.58.212.in-addr.arpa .why ?

20. BALTAGY

any new updates??

when will the fix come out

21. tommy456

Bump^^^ Any updates on a resolution for this ram hogging accumulation example after win xpsp3 loaded after boot EKRN.EXE using 8700k of ram, but after browsing several web pages with ff 14.1 and opening outlook express a few times to check e-mails and a scan EKRN.EXE is now hogging 111.244k of ram, and it's only 6hrs 47mins uptime for this session, this ram hogging keeps on increasing each time eset checks for updates, i browse the web. check emails and more, it releases some memory when i close browsers ect but it does not release all causing the accumulation of ram in use

22. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

PM sent.

23. BALTAGY

it will be fixed in new versions of v5 and v6?

24. tommy456

I think that i may of discovered a link to this gradual accumulation of physical memory , Due to having issues with SSL scanning that will randomly start blocking all Internet access, Will this disabled eset Ekrn.exe was only using around 93mb but re enable the protocol filtering and after checking for new e-mails (outlook express) and browsing to a couple of secure web pages Eset is now 105mb, the extra 10mb is not getting released/flushed once the apps are closed
    I can't say if this is the root cause, but there is certainly a connection between the 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.