Media Extender firewall issues

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by poomobile, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poomobile

poomobile Registered Member

I was wondering if someone can help me configure my firewall to allow all of the media center features pass through. I have been having a hell of a time. I have almost figured it out but I still have to disable my firewall for it to work properly. I have a list of what ports need to be open but I am having trouble applying them properly. Here is that list:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/mediacenter/firewall.mspx#EMG

Can someone please give me some advice on how to apply this properly.

Thanks

2. poomobile

I worked on this some more and I have only 1 issue now. When my firewall is enabled (in interactive mode) I can do anything with my extender except fast forward movies...after a few clicks it says the movie is done. If I disable the firewall, everything works perfectly and I am able to fast forward. This is driving me nuts!!!

Please help

Thanks

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Let's try creating these rules and apply the following changes:

Open the user interface (GUI) . Enter the Advanced Setup Tree (F5)

1. Navigate to Personal Firewall. Choose Interactive Mode (if already not chosen)

2. Navigate to Personal Firewall -> IDS and Advanced options
    Make sure all services are allowed (a.k.a 5 options)

3. In Personal firewall -> IDS and advanced options , enabled logging . Press OK.

Then, open Personal firewall > Rules and zones > Zone and rule setup
    Choose "Toggle detailed view of all riles" (if already not set to this)
    Press Apply button now.

About ehshell.exe
    Start creating new rule (use the button called "New")

Name : your choice
    Direction : Both
    Action : Allow
    Protocol : TCP & UDP

Additional action:
    check Log

In Local tab - just add the application using the Browse button. You must find where ehshell.exe is located

In Remote tab - do not touch here . If there is no info entered , ESS will allow communication from and to any port and to any IP.

Confirm with OK . Press Apply button.

About svchost.exe

Additional action:
    check Log

In Local tab - just add the application using the Browse button. You must find where svchost.exe is located . It is located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\

In Remote tab - for better security you can add the IP address to and from which svchost.exe is allowed communication . If your network is protected by router , or you are unsure , just don't touch anything here , about svchost

About system

Additional action:
    check Log

In Local tab - just add the port which needs to have communication allowed . Add port 10244

In Remote tab - just add the port which needs to have communication allowed . Add port 10244

About mcx2prov.exe

Additional action:
    check Log

In Local tab - just add the application using the Browse button. You must find where mcx2prov.exe is located

In Remote tab - don't touch.

About mcrmgr.exe

Additional action:
    check Log

In Local tab - just add the application using the Browse button. You must find where mcrmgr.exe is located

In Remote tab - don't touch.

After you create the rules , press OK anc close the UI of ESS . It should now allow communication .

Hope this helps :thumb:

4. poomobile

Thanks for your reply however it did not fix the problem. Firewall enabled...no fast forward. Firewall disabled, fast forward works perfect. There has go to be something else that is specific to ESS firewall...

I should also add that I checked the firewall log and it is not showing anything blocked...weird

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You have applied all the rules I suggested in the above post ?

6. poomobile

Yes...I had input every rule already but I did them all again with your post. Still same issue...I am stumped.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Can you live without ESS's antispam capabilities ? Do we talk about Windows Vista ?

8. poomobile

I guess I can...but I am pretty sure I disabled the antispam already...not a feature I need

And yes, I am running Vista with a Linksys DMA2100 media extender.

9. poomobile

Just checked...anti spam is already disabled. I tried with it enabled and not...same problem. Only solution has been to disable firewall.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Ok , but this is no difference .

Your ESS license supports downgrade to lower ESET product (such as ESET NOD32 Antivirus) . ESET NOD32 Antivirus (EAV or NOD32 in short) has no firewall and no antispam options , just virus , spyware and malware protection .

You can use EAV with any modert 3rd part firewall you want (including the built-in Windows Firewall) . So , let's uninstall ESS and install EAV

1. Download fresh new version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus product
    http://www.eset.com/download
    Make sure that you choose the correct version.

2. Uninstall your current version from Control Panel
    3. Reboot the computer when prompted
    4. Make sure you can see hidden files/folders:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial130.html

5. Delete manually these folders:

- C:\Program files\ESET
    - C:\Users\Application Data\Roaming\Eset
    - C:\Users\Application Data\Eset

5. Reboot

6. Install ESET Antivirus using the file you downloaded in step1 . Use typical install.

Make sure Windows Firewall is enabled (ON) in Control Panel -> Windows Firewall . Configure Windows Firewall to allow your communication:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/mediacenter/firewall.mspx#EMG

11. poomobile

I know that will work because I tried it already. I am not a big fan of the windows firewall as I like my firewall to prompt me for new connection attempts. That is why I bought ESS...I used to use zonealarm back in the day but I liked your product better.

Its too bad that I cannot get this to work...I am sure it is something really simple that is blocking it. I can always disable my firewall when using my Extender...I am just trying to make this easy for the wife!

If you find anything, please let me know. Thanks

12. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

I don't know anything about Media Center so this might mean nothing. If so I'm sorry to waste your time.

Eset found that the ndis filter is causing the problem with the View workgroup link. They're working on a fix for it. I was wondering if that could be causing your problem too. There's a chance our good friend Hitech would know. He's real smart.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Windows Firewall in Vista can also perform outgoing filtering ;)

Please , contact ESET using the internal webform (Help -> Contact Customer care) . Describe your problem in short , fill in the data , remember to include a link to this thread . At the second page , allow ESS to get data about your configuration. Send it and make sure you have internet connection for a while during sending the request.

ESET Support person will be able to look in your case and in your settings . At least they can check if it is a bug or not .

Unfortunately , I am not 100% sure but it looks similar . ESET will know more and that is why I would suggest the OP contact them :thumb:

14. poomobile

I tried mucking around with that feature when I first installed Vista...what a nightmare!

I will send Eset a message and see what they come back with.

Thanks

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome

16. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

see this post ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.