Measurement Lab (Does your ISP blocks/throttle traffic?)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pandlouk, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Do you want to measure your internet speed? Does your ISP throttles or block torrent traffic? The new beta tool from google can answer these questions. Now you can test it with the new beta Measurement Lab of google!

More info here

ps. I would advise you to test it in different hours of the day and night because some ISPs throttle during the day hours (usually from 7-8 to 21-23) but not during the night. In Italy, for example, Telecom(Alice) and Tiscali use extreme traffic shaping, on the emule download traffic, only during the day hours, even thow they deny it...

Panagiotis

Edit:
    Just for the record, I am not against throttling/traffic shaping. If the ISPs did not do that we all would have problems with our internet experience. I do not understand thow why they continue to deny that they do it, why they do not include those details in the contracts, between them and their customers, and why they do not tell their customers how much of the bandwith will be allocated to p2p or encrypted traffic and which hours during the day.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Nice find.

I have suffered with my ISP throttling back and the first thing I did was change the port defaults and encrypt my traffic...

Change the bittorrent port numbers, do not use the defaults - the easiest way for me so I could easily know it was bittorent in my log was just to add a number in front of the port numbers I was using - 16881-16889.

here's a guide(zeropaid) I found.

3. pandlouk

Changing ports does not help if the ISP does a good job with traffic shaping.
    Changing port and allow only obfuscated traffic will help for torrent traffic shaping.
    On the Emule protocol the things are a bit different and easier for the ISPs to handle:
    Kad Udp does not support obfiscated traffic -> If you use KAD your ISPs will know you are using Emule and will adjust the traffic shaping.
    If you use EDK2 servers -> is even easier for them to know that you are using Emule. (there are few servers and if you connect to those IPs/ports even obfuscated means you are using Emule).

ps. for the record some ISPs use traffic shapping by default on encrypted traffic; I have seen it when I connect with Teamviewer with my parents and my sister or when I send or receive a file with skype. I guess that nowadays policy of the ISPs is: "Since we cannot see what is the protocol we'll throttle the traffic to the specific port..." :rolleyes: :D

Panagiotis

4. Meriadoc

Well I suppose if you have to do anything you have the wrong ISP. Trouble here at home they changed the rules with no notification and I went from an unlimited no throttling connection to throttling and capping:eek: . Had an interesting discussion with support that I could reach my limit in 2 days.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Use port above 60000, because normally ISP's doesn't lock at them...

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, the good news is I don't get throttled. I'm not sure I agree with ISPs' and Emule. For one thing, the protocols shouldn't make a difference, obfusication should work the same way. And besides, if it were an issue as you say with Kad, no one at Emule would be constantly, almost like a broken record, saying use Kad and not the servers. I'm not saying I don't believe you, just that it doesn't make much sense.

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

8. pandlouk

Actually, Alice(Telecom) is one of the ISPs that throttle less in Italy (and they do it only on emule during the daytime).Plus, I do not really care since I do not p2p often, and when I do is mostly for linux distros and they are better distributed on torrents which do not get throttled at all.

Panagiotis

9. pandlouk

This won't help if the ISP has a good traffic shaping system.

10. pandlouk

The system does not report back if you get throttled. It only reports that you do not get blocked.
    Panagiotis

11. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

My ISP, Cox Communications is testing new throttling techniques in Kansas and Arkansas beginning the 9th of this month. If it makes it there it will go to other markets as well. :( I don't know if they were already doing some throttling already or not but it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28881125/

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I see, well, once I did the math, my UPLOAD is where it should be for my connection. I don't think download speed can accurately be tested for throttling as it isn't your download speed alone that counts, it's the upload speed of others that makes the real difference. As far as obfusication, well, since it's right there in writing, a lot of those people are sorely mistaken (as I was) about Kad being a safer alternative.

I'm much more concerned about the "other" organizations when downloading than I am my ISP though, which is why I keep Peerguardian 2 onboard.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Watch out though, your ISP could become a lot more involved if things keep heading in a certain direction in the future....

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh I expect it to, and in the next 2-3 years, if not sooner. There will come a point where, unless major changes are made to protocol and more elaborate methods of anti-snooping come along, P2P WILL die out. I always used to say that no matter what happens, P2P'ers will always keep going. I'm slowly but surely changing my line of thinking.

15. Meriadoc

Well yes all I use it for is distros, vms and still it has been really slow certain times.

How so? I'm certainly no file sharer that goes after something for free but downloading a linux distro over p2p is really a proficient way for someone to distribute.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.