md5 files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LenC, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I run a weekly full backup using Shadow Protect with daily incrementals between them. When I look in the folder wheere I store my images, I recently started seeing md5 files associated with the new incremental files. (As I understand it, md5 files are used to confirm that files are being copied properly).

I assume this is because I recently installed teracopy - as part of the install, I was asked if I wanted to associate md5 files with teracopy and I said yes. I just want to understand why running shadow protect would invoke teracopy in any way.

Thank you,
    Len

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I have never used TeraCopy (nor SP for that matter), but it should replace Windows's copy function. If so, and if SP was using Windows' copy function in any way, it now uses TC.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thank you Seer. I understand what you are saying about teracopy replacing window's copy; but does teracopy generate an md5 file every time a file is copied? Not sure I would want my harddrive littered with them.

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I don't know, but the answer to this would fully answer your original post. I have noticed several TeraCopy users here, hopefuly they'll popup.

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I figured this out - it has nothing to do with teracopy.

I recently upgraded Shadow Protect to v3.4 from v3.3. Apparently, v3.4 has an advanced option setting to automatically create an md5 file after every backup - it is set to "on" by default, but can be turned off. That's why the md5 files started popping up in the directory.

Seer - thank you for your help with this.

6. ljg

ljg Registered Member

Where's the option to turn MD5 off?

Thanks!

7. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Advanced Options:

Attached Files:

8. ljg

ljg Registered Member

I was looking for it as a global option, but as you pointed out, it's found as you're running through the individual backup procedure.

Again, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.