McAfee wont update!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dwax, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwax

dwax Registered Member

I wonder if anyone here is having problems updating McAfee software?? I have Security Center ver. 7.0.331 and virus scan ver. 11 build 11.0.213 It will not update! It will check for updates, then tell me no updates are available. I have posted this on the McAfee forums and saw that others are having the same problem. I can see that Mcafee is trying to figgure this out but seems to think that all these problems are at the fault of the consumers. Was just wondering if any here are also having this problemo_O

2. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

My McAfee won't stop updating.

I get seemingly daily updates to the firewall (including the last three days in a row), the one the day before yesterday requiring a reboot. And it's a good thing. McAfee virtually ruined my continuous internet connectivity for awhile, and slowed things considerably. It was like having dial-up again.

If they would not have released a beta product to the world, they would not have to do all these software updates all the time...

If the McAfee reputation has not been diminished by the fiasco that is version 11, that is a shame. They act like a company with a few computer nerds operating out of a basement rather than one of the bigs with lots of revenue and employees.

I guess you know that Security Center is 7.1, and the rest of your stuff in not the latest either....

Additionally, McAfee has not scored as well on tests lately either.... so what are they doing right?

3. dwax

dwax Registered Member

"QUOTE" I guess you know that Security Center is 7.1, and the rest of your stuff in not the latest either....

I know this, thats why I have posted quite a few comments on McAfee's forums. With me, it started having McAfee tell me I was unprotected and should run live update. When I tried it would just stop. Being tired of no responce I uninstalled the whole works. I noticed I had an older version then I had befor so I tried the update,and got "There are no update's available" Looking around the McAfee fourms I could see that others were having the same problem,it seemed to me by mcAfee's responce that we had all done somthing to cause this problem. tried quite a few things that they said to do. I'm just a little scared that I will have to uninstall again to get the latest dat's there is no way to update.

4. dwax

dwax Registered Member

Look at this, how were suppose to get our dats updated by McAfee.

Quote from Jubo
    McAfee Maniac:

All of a sudden I can't get any updates and I am told the Signature files are outdated. I have tried running MSCPRXFIX, without any luck. So now what? My subscriptions are fine and paid though April 2007. I shouldn't be having this problem. I have the following:

Viruscan: 11.0, DAT Version: 4894.0000 created 11/13/06
    Firewall: 8.0 Last update 8/24/06

I tried Virtual Tech, put it could not update the DAT files it said.

But try this:

1. uninstall all McAfee programs through "add/Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
    2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe).
    This will remove all Mcafee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows XP SP2 or W2K Pro SP4 to use this tool)
    3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
    4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products again.

That should do it... I hope...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.