McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wanted to try mcafeee viruscan enterprize for awhile now due to the good things ive heard about it.
    so i signed up for the beta.
    i installed both the antivirus and the antispyware modules.
    doesnt look much different to the 8.0i version which is used at my college.
    seems light on resourses and deals with threat with no user interaction needed.
    high protection mode was on.
    i was surprized the default update segdule is daily? and not hourly?
    why dont mcafee ship this to the home users?
    if you brought a laptop or desktop from say dell and this was installed most people on this forum would keep it. its completely different experince to the bloated home user products.
    has anyone else tryed this?
    smaller companies can offer the same product to all there users so why cant the big names?

2. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Many home users like flashy and bold colors, large graphics, and blinking lights that say "Look at me! I'm working!". They also develop brand comfort for things that are easily identified and have name recognition over time, even if that product is not the best available.

I personally feel that SAV is vastly superior to NAV and McAfee Enterprise is light years better than McAfee's home edition, but that is because both programs stay out of my way and don't bug me to death.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes but cant it have the look at me flashy interface without all the bloat?

4. noway

noway Registered Member

And it also doesn't have one prominent "dummy button" that says "make my computer safe NOW!"

I use 8.5i and I like it better than the other AVs I've tried. It doesn't bog down this machine at all, but if you add up all the processes, it does use a fair bit of memory. That's okay with me.

5. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Is this going to be an upgrade to 8.5i or a completely new product?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

seems like just an upgrade

Key features and improvements in VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i
    Support for Windows 2008 Server (Longhorn)
    Improved local control of on-demand scans (ODS)
    • Battery state & full screen awareness
    • Allows end user to delay scheduled ODS when system is low on battery or during full screen presentations
    • ODS usability improvements
    • Right click ODS now prompts the user to choose to either (a) Clean any malware, or (b) Continue (report only).
    Enhanced system throttling
    • Includes registry and memory scanning, in addition to file scanning
    Additional Access Protection Rules for virtual machines
    • Prevention of changes to the VMware settings and configuration, files and folders, and active processes
    New mail scanner
    • Improved reliability with double-byte and multi-byte languages

7. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Unfortunately, sometimes it seems like that dummy button protects by locking the computer down in a scan so hard that the system can't do anything else. I don't have much experience with the past couple revisions of Norton's products, but McAfee Home turns my parent's computer to slush. Enterprise, not so much; you can actually do things!

I keep urging them to try one of this board's darlings with a good GUI - Kaspersky, Avira, FProt, Eset, etc - but my dad has that silly "If your ISP gives it to you free, it's what you're meant to use" mentality. They let me custom-build their computer, but I can't pick their security. Humbug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.