McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i RC2

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Anybody using it? It looks like it is very good. Any review on it?

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Most reviews don't happen until the product is released. Doesn't make sense to review a pre-production version of a product.

I tried out the previous revision. Seemed to work fine. Had some system instabilities. Installed about 5 running processes (more than I would prefer) and RAM usage was middle of the road. Impact on my laptop 1.8GHZ, 768MB RAM, 40GB HD was in between KAV 5 and NOD32.

The bigger question is whether or not the licensing scheme will change so that individuals can get a hold of it.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hopefully this is not wishful thinking. At work we have used the corporate versions of both McAfee and Norton and these are completely different products compared to their retail versions.

Both lack the 'bloat' of the recent Home versions and our IT people are particularly impressed with the new beta of the McAfee Enterprise version. The gold release will eventually replace Norton Corporate edition here.

Hopefully, I can obtain a copy of the new McAfee version as part of the general site license.

4. main

main Guest

What's the difference between home and corporate versions? Are home versions more powerful, better at p2p than corporate versions?

5. tazdevl

I'm not sure how you could come up with better detection for P2P between the two versions, doesn't make much sense. Generally they use the same engine.

Corporate versions typically have administrative features built into them so they can be managed on a network. Also corporate versions tend to be more of a barebones, straightforward AV and don't double as a cross-selling platform like McAfee home (which pushes stuff at you like ads to buy their firewall) and doesn't have fairly useless features like the McAfee security center.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  6. main

main Guest

At work we use Mcafee and I had a couple viruses that couldn't be removed by Mcafee Corporate, later than night I used Mcafee home and got the same virus and it got deleted safely.

Mcafee corporate seems not to be able to delete or clean anything but throw it in the Q folder to keep it seperate from others.

7. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

It also depends on the configuration, I think most of the default settings are to quarantine as to not auto-delete something important due to a false positive. (I noticed in the responses that the client is allowed to choose, delete isn't selected by default)

8. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

I guess the reason is that Enterprise Version is meant for enterprises. Every file in a company could potentially be a very important file, even if it is infected.

9. tazdevl

What he said :D

As I said, the app is meant to be administered by the sys admins, not the user. So they might have set things up differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.