mcafee virusscan 2008 for free (1 year)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by computer geek, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

you mean this :thumb:

2. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I decided to once again give the Comcast free version of McAfee VS a shot. Like I said before, I liked it except for a couple of things. Well the install went well until the end. After clicking Finish at the end of the install, my computer froze. I couldn't move my cursor. So I did a restart. Everything loaded until the McAfee icon appeared in the task bar. The computer froze again. I tried one more time with a restart. Same thing. I reverted my hard drive to before I installed McAfee, and all is well again. I don't know what happened. McAfee never caused this problem before. I'll try to install it again later today. I want to see if this was just some little gremlin screwing with me. ;) :)

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Jas, you’re welcome :) . Just remember that I also talked good about Norton as well, lol. Give it a spin and see how it does for you.

Xenephobe, it was not my intention to “push” McAfee here. I was just amazed at the difference between this time and the last time I used it. I don't know if there is a perfect solution out there but as long as it does what it suppose to do and not conflict with the OS I guess it is close to it. There are some things that NIS had over MVSP but likewise also. I do hope it works out for you (btw, glad to return the favor ;) :) )

CGeek, I didn’t realize it until you mentioned it but McAfee doesn’t have a basic AV/AS anymore. MVSP is the “base” solution now with all the features you mentioned. I wonder if other companies will follow suit (no more NAV, KAV, etc).

As I stated before MVSP has Buffer Overflow Protection but not Access Protection. I read the Enterprise 8.5 manual today and AP is more of an administrative tool that most home users wouldn’t really need. But SystemGuard does have some features of Access Protection as far as protecting vital files from malware. It is broken down to three areas—Program, Windows, and Browser. It does not restrict other users from altering files and settings which AP does (which are needed in a work environment—SysAdmins hate users fooling around with settings, lol).

GS, I hope you squash that little gremlin :D

4. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi midway. Unfortunately, I didn't. I installed McAfee again tonight. After the install, I did a restart and everything froze again. I waited a few minutes hoping it would work itself out, but it didn't. I think I'll give a try at the McAfee forum and see what they come up with.

5. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Hi!

What was the version of DW you had problems with?

6. midway40

Ilya, I don't know the version but I had downloaded it off the site so I am assuming it is the latest version. My Creative X-Fi driver is Vista 32bit v. 2.15.0004. I am at work now and don't have access to my computer but let me know if I can provide any other info. I liked DW over the others.

7. Ilya Rabinovich

OK, got it. Mail me to support [at] softsphere [dot] com, I reply when my site will back to life :) I'll send you a latest version of the driver.

8. midway40

Thanks, Ilya, I sent you an email :)

I noticed your site was down when I went to find the version number today. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Yes, there was some irregular site access problems and, thus, my hoster moving my site to other hardware- so, it is simple inaccessible due to this work. I don't have an access to it too, so, I pick up you e-mail when my site will back to life. :)

BTW, I'm just curious- why you didn't call for support via e-mail or support forum having problems with DW? Is it really so hard?

10. midway40

Guilty as charged. But you will have to understand the mindset I was in at the time. I had just came from an experience with a program interfering with USB drivers that took me weeks to figure out. So I was in no mood for another when I saw DW interfere with the Creative drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.