Mcafee virus scan plus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by anderb, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Hello friends I need your valuable opinion,I installed this av last week and I´d like to know if I need an antispyware or it´s not necessary?Thanks:)

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would say not nessacessy.
    but you can always install superantispyware free version and run an ondemand every so often.
    www.superantispyware.com

3. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Virus scan plus It has it's own anti-spyware module,system guard, i would say you don't need another one ,certainly not for real time.If u want something for on-demand Lodore's suggestion is good.

4. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Thank you all my friends for the quick replies:thumb:

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nope, not needed.

6. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

McAfee's detection rates aren't all that impressive, and a lot of the infected pc's that I have been cleaning over the past year alone are using McAfee or Norton. IMO you would benefit from a quality real-time or on-demand anti-spyware. SUPERAntiSpyware in real-time will not tax your system and co-exists with McAfee just fine.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am useing McAfee AV+ and the AS module has worked well or else I never get near spyware. This is the second one year subscription I have had it and never been infected.

bigc

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

There's a good possibility you'd refrain from being infected even if you didn't use an AV. Not everyone uses common sense when they sit in front of the keyboard, nor are most people educated on how they get infected in the first place. It's sort of like those posts where people claim brand X software isn't worth it because the scans are coming up clean.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Nice to hear someone saying Common Sense is good enough to ward off evils.

But after reading some reports concerning a widely spread virus infection currently on NET; new strain of diskkill, namely WormWin32.Diskgen

it not only disables your favorite AV,AT alike, but injects a down loader to d/l trojan into your system 32 files.

I would be very worry without any sort of AV(with current updates).

Take care.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

And this is proof of what? If any other Av's were in such widespread use as those, you could say the same about them. A separate AS program is usually a good idea and SAS is probably as good as any. The real problem with most of the machines you clean up exist between the keyboard and chair.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I presume you have the 2008 version ? It should have security center 8.0.247

I think this version provides reasonable antispyware protection, but it's really better to add a real antispyware program.

I don't know SAS.

Counterspy might be the best choice, IF you know how to configure BOTH McAfee and Counterspy, otherwise they will interfere with each other.
    (For McAfee, that's probably 'display smart recommendations' instead of 'enable smart recommendations', for a start)

I think that the Spy Sweeper (don't buy the one WITH antivirus !) should also provide decent additional protection, I am not aware of any conflicts with McAfee.

But honestly, I think that it's important to configure each security program properly, the 'out of the box' settings are just insufficient, but if you don't have the knowledge, the default settings are USUALLY better than nothing. Assuming that the default settings will not cause conflicts between security programs.

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Not particulary relevant to this thread, but spelling as used varies from individual to individual, and I'm uncertain about the correct English spelling:

anti-virus or antivirus ?
    anti-spyware or antispyware ?

English isn't my first language.

13. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Antivirus and Antispyware.

14. Dorn

Dorn Registered Member

dont know but i never really belived 100% in mcafee, and specially not the big companies like: mcafee, f-secure, etc. it´s just a feeling:doubt:

15. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I'd rather trust big companies than the small ones. Imo. :)

16. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Lets hope the 'big engine upgrade will shake things up'
    Mcafee's spyware detection is quite good, otherwise called PUPS. What i don't like them, and their excuse for not removing them most of the time except tracking cookies, is that they conflict with the 'so called lisence agreement with the spyware program' so mcafee will not remove it. That,i think, is the main drawback, why have a av/as program if as groans about lisence agreements everyday? Its best advice is to uninstall the spyware program, thats what it says, which is stupid. what right did they have to install spyware on my computer? so why can't mcafee remove it? is it a massive coverup? also, if you go to the remove pups website for help, it gives you help for only the enterprise, and old versions, how crap is that? then you contact tech support, who act like bots and take 10 mins to respond to one question. then, they recommend freescan, stupid again, then they say next superdat will remove it, which i've fallen for over 10 times, and never happens, then they refer you to pup removel team which was 30 quid, i would just have a online scan with fsecure or cureit, and a bit off topic, but has anyone seen the globel threat level ever move from elevated?

17. computer geek

by saying that you are saying you would swap drweb for norton?!!!!!!

18. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

If I liked it better, yes. But I do not switch to Norton (Symantec), just because they are bigger, but I'm saying that I trust bigger companies more, than the small ones.

But then again, I trust all the antivirus companies that are out there which are a little bit well known. Either if they are small or big. I'm just refering to Dorn, who trust smaller companies more, than big companies. And I have a different opinion. But don't take me wrong, I trust Dr.Web, Avast and alle the smaller companies. It's not that.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  19. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Then get rid of Norman :D :)

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Personally, I dont give a damn of the size of the company. I do care as to if their product protects or not. That to me is the key.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

big companys seem to forget about the little people.

22. computer geek

who are often better.

23. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I haven't said that I DO NOT USE antivirus software from smaller companies! I just said that I trust bigger companies more, but that does NOT mean that I do not trust the small ones either. I was just refering to the guy who trusted the small ones more, and I'd RATHER trust the big ones. I have never said I do NOT trust the small ones. ;) (which I've proably said 3 times before in this post) I do not use Norton, McAfee, CA and those softwares.

Get it? If I hadn't trust the small ones, why in the name of god, did I buy a Dr.Web key?

And for Norman, I like it. They are not to big, no, but it protect me well. ;)

Anyways, this is way off-topic, so I'll end it here. :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  24. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

We all know that

It takes a long time and lots of hard work to build a good will. Those BIG names have been around for a long time, and their staff have worked very hard everyday to maintain its true value.

Personal preferences normally will not dictate these products' futures, nor their fortunes.

Many ISP, institutions, and corporations use these big names' products.
    To say these products are inferior or of second level quality, may not truly reflect their real colour.

Their products or associated services may not be that perfect or to your liking, but they are around today, and bet you one loonie, they will be above the water line next day and on. After all, it is very hard to rock a big boat.

In some tech field, there are some undisputed advantages of using BIG names. Of course with some exceptions of excellent boutique-style products.

Take care.

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have suffered no infections when using this product and cross checking it with other products both free and paid nothing seems to have been missed.

It has been said that it depends on the person behind the key board while there is truth to this, it is does not add much comfort in using the product as protection. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.