McAfee Updating System Changes

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DaveD, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveD

DaveD Guest

McAfee Updating System Changes
    http://knowledge.mcafee.com/article/726/1704697_f.SAL_Public.html

It states that the AVV DATs are "for the 5100 Engine and next generation products". It also says that they will be provided along with the original DATs.

-Does anybody know if the AVV DATs will eventually replace the regular DATs?

"new AVV DAT files for next generation products capable of using new functionality of the 5100 Anti-Virus Scanning Engine"

-What new functionality do they speak of?

It looks like they are improving incremental updates as well.

2. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Also, does anybody know if the new functionality of the new AVV DATs will benefit the Command Line Scanner in any way, or just the real-time scanner?

I know that within the Command Line Scanner you have the option to load additional DATs, but I just don't know if there would be any reason to do this for these.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In the ver.11 mcafee av the 5100 engine is default

Attached Files:

4. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I'm not sure what version 11 is, I use VSE 8.0i.

I was referring to the new functionality of the AVV DATs, not the 5100 engine. I am curious was to was "new" funtionality these AVV DATs bring to the engine.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

McAfee VirusScan Plus 2007 (v11) is a successor of a McAfee VirusScan 2006 (v10)

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just did a bit of reading and the avv dats are used by the 5100 engine to better clean malware after detection as far as I can tell.

7. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I found two new features of the 5100 engine's "V2 Mode":

Registry Scanning
    http://knowledge.mcafee.com/Support...show&forward=nonthreadedKC&externalId=KB46969

Cookie Scanning
    http://knowledge.mcafee.com/Support...show&forward=nonthreadedKC&externalId=KB46968

"V2 Mode - This enables new Engine functionality, which will only become available as new compatible point products are released."

I have always trusted McAfee for years now when cleaning PC's. This is something that is definitely of interest to me and I will post more here as I learn more.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yep, McAfee definitely has one of the best scan engines when it comes to registry cleaning of malware. Most likely the new dats are to do more thorough scan of the registry so that even obscure malware entries can be removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.