McAfee Total Protection: privacy question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by beat_ch, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beat_ch

beat_ch Registered Member

Hi there

My company uses the McAfee Total Protection software as a security management solution. I am using my company's laptop computer for private purposes, too.

I know the McAfee software has monitoring mechanisms of the web sites I visited. I am wondering where these web sites are logged.

Does it log the websites even if I am surfing at home using my own internet access? In some kind of centralized database out there on the internet?
    Or does it only keep track of the web sites visited when I am in my company's network?

thanks for your response
    Beat

2. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hi,

I am not sure but I think it should log visited websites no matter You have visited on workplace or at Your home network. If it detects at all because I can't remember that option. But therwise if they are not very strict about visited websites isn't the most important thing that You have to work on Your workplace and when You go home You can do anything You want. Of course You have to watch for viruses and other security issues to protect adequately documents. You should also update MCafee on regular bases.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Unfortunately, I know McAfee ... I can't give a precise answer to your question for a number of reasons.
    But basically, McAfee logs everything. If you use the same account at work and at home, count on aggregate data to be stored somewhere (beyond your reach). They share their data (accounts, users ?) with Doubleclick, Omniture, others ... Lots of data sharing going on, probably often mutual. Don't expect any real privacy. I don't know to what extent they make distinctions between McAfee accounts, IPs, users.
    My guess is that your boss won't see these sites you mention. Unless, perhaps, the privacy service, parental controls or something else that I don't know does that.
    Of course, you don't need McAfee to see what sites someones has accessed ... If you use IE, your boss could easily check your browser history.

Btw, I recommend reading McAfee's 'privacy statement'. (or policy?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.