McAfee Scan

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by JohnH., Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnH.

JohnH. Guest

In 3 recent McAfee virus scans, I'm warned at scan finish that the following spyware viruses are write-protected and cannot be cleaned, quarantined, or deleted from my computer:
    C:\RESTORE\ARCHIVE\ FS13.CAB, FS249.CAB,FS325.CAB, and FS421.CAB. They are identified (in the above order) as Adware Xupiter, TVelocity, Adware TVelocity, and TVelocity. I run search & destroy, but it tells me there are no problems. McAfee appears to disagree. Anyone know what I should do? Thanks.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi JohnH,

Are you using Windows ME and is the actual folder name "c:\_Restore"? If so, then those files are stuck in the System Restore folder and can not be cleaned by any anti virus or spyware software.

You need to clear the System Restore area by turning it off and back on again. Note that this deletes all old restore points, so you won't be able to roll back the system until you've made some new restore points.

Detailed instructions for clearing System Restore:

http://www.vet.com.au/html/zoo/system_restore.htm

3. John Hodges

John Hodges Guest

Hello and thanks,

The file as cited by McAfee Virus Scan report is "C:\RESTORE\ARCHIVE--" but that's close enough & I'm going to follow your advice. Thanks for getting back to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.