Mcafee or F-Secure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by maddawgz, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hi i tried F-secure y/day trial bit of a resource hog..not sure of the antivirus alone but the suite 2005 was.. ...then i used mcafee..F-secure missed a win32 virus i had in one of my programs..which out of the 2 do u recommend and y thanks.md :rolleyes:

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Actually both AVs are VERY close to each other but F-Secure would probably do better at overall malware detection, that said, detection wise both AVs are roughly the same due to advantages on both sides.

I'd recommend any one to you, this is a tough fight.

Regards,
    Firecat

3. maddawgz

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  4. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

It missed one in the Worm in the February test of virii.

Personally I would go with McAfee, especially if you are using the home versions, F-Secure is so bloated with crap and such a resource hog compared to McAfee. Now if you were using it in a business atmosphere I say F-secure the client for F-Secure is much more slimmed down, now don't get me wrong I love McAfee VScan Ent. but if I had the choice I would use F-Secure, sorry a little OT.

5. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I used F-Secure 2005 for 6 months and loved it.

However, I use to use Mcafee and it was my all time favorite. I would buy it again in a minute if they got rid of the security centre telling me all the time "hey you haven't bought this yet" (Hint, Hint NAI).

I think that your going to feel secure with either, and I personally never had a glitch with either one.

Can't choose, and these are your choices (great ones at that), then I would flip a quarter ;) :p

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used both several times and my personal opinion is Mcafee.

bigc

7. maddawgz

ok thanks ill stick with mcafee then? i had a file i sent my flatmate whom is across the hall..on his pc..and his mcafee picked up virus as my old pc cillian completly missed it.. i noticed the f-secure AV was as big as its other product..55mb during trial dl.. wonder y odd..thanks again MD :rolleyes:

wonder y hotmail went to pc cillian and dumped mcafee o_O

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  8. squash

squash Registered Member

Out of McAfee and F-Secure

I would go with F-Secure. I have seen reviews on websites with people having problems with McAfee. Even check the ewido website http://www.ewido.net/en/

9. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I will NEVER argue with Big C . And I am not going to start now . I personally do not believe it is close . F-Secure , if it will run on your system freely . My God . HUGE amount of resources being used . On mine anyway .

10. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

F-Secure is bloated. Too many running processes. The worst I have ever used resource wise. My ISP offers F-Secure to me free, and I will not use it again. McAfee would easily be my choice, and I do have Home 8.0 running on a Windows 98 machine.

11. maddawgz

after all that went with Nod32 lol..MD :blink:

12. Piper

Piper Registered Member

My guess would be money had something to do with it. ;)

13. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

I use F-Secure AV 2005 for real-time protection and McAfee as an additional on demand command line scanner (4400 engine). I quite often clean other people's machines so add infected HDs to this setup and run both over them. In my experience, both are excellent at detection but each will occasionally miss something that the other will detect.

IMHO, both are good choices in terms of detection, but obviously no one package is going to detect everything. I would say the choice comes down to personal preference over things like ease of use, and feel on your system.

Ned

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I used to have PCC back in 2003 and it missed many malware thats why I dumped it. McAfee is quite good in detection, and F-Secure is slightly better, but F-Secure is also heavier.

As such, any one will serve you very well - but I recommend F-Secure b'coz I dont like McAfee's registration thingy.

Regards,
    Firecat

15. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

F-Secure will serve you well... McAfee engine is great as well, they are top preformers, but their package for home users sucks...
    It seems corporate versions of AV's are better by nature (look at Symantec, McAfee but F-Secure too)...

Too come back at the point... Just trial them both, they both have good detection, and just look wich one you like the most...

16. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

He went with NOD . That is a good choice too .

17. maddawgz

well i took mcafee off cuz it used 100cpu on scanning and was a hog u think they would make it lighter ill try nod32 for a while i heard avg was good 2..MD :rolleyes:

18. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

AVG is ok if you are going touse a free av. If you are willing to pay there are much better choices.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I suppose that there is no good way to do it, but it would be interesting to see how many use free AV backed up with free scanners such as mwav, plus free anti trohans and then to compare their malware problems with the top rated paid AVs.

My guess is that there would be no difference if we could get a large sample.

I personally know some who have used AVG for years with no penetrations. I sometimes wonder if we are swatting at gnats when we argue about the subject, and especially when statements are made that indicate NAV is junk. I personally used it for over 5 years with not one problem. I did not even know about anti trojans. Most of my friends used either NAV or McAfee without problems.

However, it is fun to discuss and consider, especially if we have tests such as Firefighter's.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.