Mcafee Launches Its New Line Of Products..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Legendkiller, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit Registered Member

Not in my experience but there are some users complaining. The main problems appear to be slow polling for mail in most mail clients. Odd conflicts with certain software...all being worked on by the engineers.

Official requirements for Viruscan Plus:
    Important: Your Operating System must be designed and tested to support English languages. This product does not support any versions of Windows prior to Windows 2000.

Microsoft® Windows 2000, Windows XP Personal computer with Pentium-compatible processor 300 MHz or higher RAM
    256 MB Before Installation:
    125 MB hard disk space After Installation:
    75 MB hard disk space 800 X 600 or higher resolution Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or later Note: To upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer, visit the Microsoft Web site at http://www.microsoft.com/. Supported e-mail programs
    POP3 (Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, Netscape) Supported instant messaging programs
    AOL Instant Messenger 2.1 or later Yahoo Messenger 4.1 or later Microsoft Windows Messenger 3.6 or later MSN Messenger 6.0 or later

Official requirements for Total Protection:
    Important: Your Operating System must be designed and tested to support English languages. This product does not support any versions of Windows prior to Windows 2000.

Microsoft® Windows 2000, Windows XP Personal computer with Pentium-compatible processor 500 MHz or higher RAM
    256 MB Before Installation:
    275 MB hard disk space After Installation:
    175 MB hard disk space 800 X 600 or higher resolution Microsoft® .NET Framework version 1.1.4322 Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or later Note: To upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer, visit the Microsoft Web site at http://www.microsoft.com/. Supported e-mail programs
    POP3 – Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, Netscape, IncrediMail, Thunderbird; Japanese only: Shuriken, Becky, PostPet MAPI – Outlook Web – MSN/Hotmail, or e-mail account with POP3 access Supported instant messaging programs
    AOL Instant Messenger 2.1 or later Yahoo Messenger 4.1 or later Microsoft Windows Messenger 3.6 or later MSN Messenger 6.0 or later Required for toolbar plug-in
    Outlook Express 6.0 or later Outlook 2000, XP, 2003, or 2007 Eudora 6.0 or later Thunderbird 1.5 or later Standard wireless network adapter Standard wireless router or access point (including popular Linksys®, NETGEAR®, D-Link®, Buffalo®, Belkin®, TRENDnet®, and other models)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

So I decided to give Mcafee VirusScan Plus a go and install it on my computer. So far I am pretty happy with it, big improvement over the previous version. The bare bones version (VirusScan Plus) added 11 new processes to my computer but, I do not notice any slowdowns with surfing, opening apps, start ups and shutdowns. I would like to see how it does when I'm gaming tomorrow. Since I haven't done a full system yet I can't say how slow/fast it is. I have included some images of VirusScan's options below in case anyone wanted to see more

Firewall
    http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4654/firewallms7.th.jpg

IDS
    http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6724/idsfp5.th.jpg

Logging
    http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2466/logln3.th.jpg

Program Control
    http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/9904/programcontrolxy8.th.jpg

Manual Scanner Settings
    http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/475/manualrd6.th.jpg

Real-time Scanner Settings
    http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/9836/realtimelg3.th.jpg

Quick Clean settings
    http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1430/quickcleanhk4.th.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  3. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

I see in you picture that mcafee has not mutch IDS rules :'(

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Could you also make a screenshot of SystemGuards page?

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Behavior blocker it is :) Very similar to the one in VSE 8.0i, just very simplified for home users.

7. Saw11_2000

Saw11_2000 Registered Member

What do you think about it compared to TMIS 2007?

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Donno, i always prefered McAfee over TMIS because of stronger heuristics and generic detections. Plus McAfee VS Plus appears less bloated with all sorts of useless crap.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Stronger heuristics . AFAIK ,Trend Micro has no heurisitcs in it :eek:

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well at least i heard they have some, though i've never seen anything more than generic detections...

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

In the new 2007 there can be some but in old version , no . I have never seen heuristic option in the menu . Also once I read in PCWorld magazine about it containing no heuristics ... Ok , forget it :)

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Are you going to wait 11 hours to download it ? :D :D :D

14. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Download speed will get faster the longer you wait ;)

15. Ex_Brit

That downloader is crazy...mine took a grand total of 6 minutes, despite saying 999 at one stage.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Of course it does. Now it's showing 999 minutes left and 0 KB/s speed.
    Man they're wasting my 1 Mbit connection...

EDIT:
    It just hanged. I had to cancel it and start all over. Now it seems that it'll actually finish properly...

EDIT2:
    Oh my god, and they say avast! is complicated to use. The one who made the gui for this thing should be shot on sight. I think i'll finish my trial before it runs out...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  17. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I UNinstalled it as well for that reason and some others. It seemed to run pretty nice on my computer but, there are 3 things that I did NOT like about it.

1). Gui had a lot of options for configuration ,but it was pretty confusing/jumbled like RejZoR stated.
    2). I couldn't find a way to exclude files/folders from either the real-time and on-demand scanners.
    3).The firewall was too simplistic and didn't seem to have any advanced rule creation options (like outpost or looknstop).

18. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I've decided to take the plunge and give VirusScan Plus a proper workout. I haven't dealt with a McAfee product for years, will give this a fair run through.

19. Saw11_2000

Scarily, TMIS 2005 included heuristics. I looked at a magazine article that said it only picks up about 6% of threats not in the signature.

Anyone remember the article in PC World I believe that listed like 6 antivirus companies, and compared their response time, etc.?

Anyhoo, TMIS 2007 has some pretty nice behavior analysis patterns I think. ;)

20. Saw11_2000

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Trend Micro PC-cillin has some amount of heuristics in it, mainly Macro virus heuristics, but some normal heuristics too. The heuristics are not at all aggressive. I know this because I've personally seen PC-cillin detect a new variant of startpage trojan via heuristics back in 2003.

New heuristics engine is set to arrive soon from what I hear, but I wouldn't get any hopes up because Trend Micro does not actively focus on its heuristics technology like the other vendors do.

On the other hand, McAfee has heuristics as well as generic detections, but the heuristic detections in the home versions (at least up to the 2006 version) are not as good as enterprise version. But overall McAfee has excellent detection rates.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Heuristics in home and enterprise version are IDENTICAL. Oly difference is in generic blocking feature which is more flexible and advanced in Enteprise version.

23. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Hello!

You can trust me guys, i am not gonna try the latest Mcafee's suite. :p

Could somebody explain to me why they fail to produce proper suites for consumers?
    Enterprise products are pretty good IMO. :)

cheers,

Tech

24. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I loaded the new versions (AV & firewall) an hour ago.

First thing I noticed: McAfee made me uninstall Ad-Aware before installing the new version.

That's not that big a deal as Ad-Aware ceased being a useful product some time ago.

But since I had the Plus version, I would have preferred to keep it.

I think I liked the old Firewall interface better. Cleaner, clearer, and more descriptive.

The AV scan was much faster. When it’s much faster, I always wonder if its as thorough.

What I'd like to know is if the AV (and AS) are more potent, or if this is mostly a tweak job --- is this just an evolution, or is this more of a revolutionary change in the product?

This is what the McAfee website claims:

25. Ex_Brit

You can reinstall Adaware SE..no problems here.

The new Viruscan 11 incorporates McAfee Antispyware's engine so basically does the job that both applications did separately (and sometimes overlapping) before. Other tweaks apparently have made it far more thorough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.