McAfee False Positive???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheKid7, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have McAfee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0i (Only because it is free) on one of my 3 Windows PC's. As a second opinion I recently started using BitDefender 10 Free.

Today I downloaded the program "RunScanner" from Runscanner.net. When I scanned the zipped file with McAfee it said it was clean. When I scanned with BitDefender it said that it was clean. During the BitDefender scan McAfee popped up saying that it had Quarantined a "New Poly32 (Virus)". I then noticed a trend that if I do a scan with BitDefender on the RunScanner file that McAfee always shows that it moved a "New Poly32 (Virus)" to Quarantine but if I scan other files nothing happens. The original RunScanner file seems to be intact after McAfee reports a move to Quarantine.

I uploaded the RunScanner zipped file to VirusTotal and it said that the file had already been recently scanned. So I chose to do a new scan. Only Prevx1 Version 2 showed a Heuristic Possible Malware that can mutate/change (I forgot the exact wording of the Prevx scan result.).

What to you make of this? False positive?

P.S. a few days ago McAfee showed two Trojan files detected in Sun Java and moved to Quarantine. Online scans with Kaspersky, Trendmicro, NOD32 and Panda ActiveScan confirmed more Trojans in Sun Java. I had Trendmicro clean them.

In the back of my mind I worry that there could be a remote chance of a looming hard drive problem that could be causing/aggrevating this. The hard drive S.M.A.R.T. shows OK each time that I check it. The PC seems to be relatively stable.

2. noway

noway Registered Member

Can't really advise you what to do, but will say that the runscanner program I downloaded from runscanner.net just now was clean using McAfee Virusscan Enterprise 8.5i. If it was me I would just stick with McAfee ONLY and wondered if your "license" would work on the newer 8.5i which you could download. Also make sure you are using the latest Virusscan patch for whatever version you use.

3. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

4. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

I think there's a compatibility issue with Mcafee and Bitdefender; cause of false positive :doubt:. Sometimes problems arise when you have two antivirus installed even if the other has no on-access scanner.

thanatos

5. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

If you know the file, scan it at virustotal.

6. RunScanner

RunScanner Registered Member

PrevX show indeed a heuristic warning in virustotal, other virusscanners should flag Runscanner as OK

7. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

PrevX detects anything packed as malware...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.