Mcafee Enterprise 8.5i or Avast Professional for a company

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ssb, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssb

ssb Registered Member

In our company we're using Avast Professional v4, primary for on-demand scanning of files we're receiving. We're considering Mcafee VSE 8.5i as a company-wide solution, to replace Avast.
    Does it worth the money (and trouble) to do this move? I'd like to hear your experience, according resource usage, scanning speed and Vista compatibility.

Regards

2. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I got mcafee enterprise free from my school. I would say that it is one of the best antivirus available for enterprise with feature such as buffer overflow protection , partial firewall features , ability to make your disk read only and much more. It is stable and reasonably light.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

McAfee 8.5i will not uninstall cleanly from XP or Server 2003. It leaves a ton of stuff behind. Works better on Vista.

4. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

If you uninstall from add/remove it leaves a lot stuff as said but if you uninstall from setup file there is no stuff behind.

5. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

My absolute favorite thing about VSE 8.5 is it's access protection module. You can prevent things from running from the temp folders, prevent writing anything to the WINDOWS and Program files folders, block any applications from running on any particular ports, etc.... I don't think detection rates are absolute best, but the degree of control you get IS the best. Also very resource friendly.

6. ssb

ssb Registered Member

A few hours ago, I've got the VSE 8.5i license and already installed a few copies on some machines.
    It really looks a pro-class application although a bit heavy for my taste, when access protection is enabled. So far no problems or application compatibility issues have been reported from my collegues, good sign!

Thank you all for your comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.