McAfee Desktop firewall 8.5 port 1034 open

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Ludow, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I understand where you're coming from, but that's up to the user whether they become lazy or not. I see no point in having application-hooking monitoring running if it doesn't detect all known instances of the issue. If you are going to depend on the monitor at all, it should cover all known techniques.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

How bout unknown?

3. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

When they become known, they should be taken care of. Like any exploit.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Only if the are being used as know methods of hack and attacks, all the leak tests are based on orchestrated presumptions, not truly reality, tell me how many in the past have become victims of these so called published hacks when not running a outbound protection. Hacking is a far more advanced world than these leak tests make it look, far more sophisticated too.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Why not just run ZA Pro then? It probably does a better job with all that stuff anyway. I would like to see them keep it simple. It's already annoying enough when it asks for permission for every app to execute. That can be turned off though, so it's ok. If McAfee were to do what you want, then they'd have to commit themselves to adding more code every time a new exploit turned up. You seem to like this idea, I would like to spare them this effort.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

The point is that McAfee is aimed at corporates, if they go the ZAP or Outlook or Jetico way of pop ups, they will loose all corporate clients for sure. McAfee can be implemented with secure and safe policies across the network and thats exactly what a network admin wants in a corporate environment.

7. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Firewalkleaktester is just one person's take on malwares, however true that may be and there are far more variation to the malware situation that one website and person can cover.

If you look at my last thread, it says it all, McAfee 8.5 is solely aimed at corporate environment where pop ups like Outpost, ZAP and Jetico will mean contract getting cancelled.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Let's try and keep this thread to discussing McAfee.

Regards,

CrazyM

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

This refers to McAfee, because it shows the potential vulnerabilities in its application hooking monitor. firewallleaktester.com's tests results are for a fact dated. Worse case, if that link to malwares.htm I posted above is dated, than there are even more situations where exploits are being used, since the exploits on that page have already been released.

I have already stated my opinion on that matter, and wish to discuss it no further since it has no possibility of leading anywhere. Even if I somehow manage to convince you, McAfee will still do nothing about this. How about we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

12. shoe

shoe Registered Member

So should application hooking be on or off?

13. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

On if you want to detect applications hooking into other applications, Off if you don't. Just keep in mind that it will not detect all methods.

14. shoe

shoe Registered Member

thanks

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, how boring would it be if we all agreed on everything anyway? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.