McAfee AV free for a year

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by halcyon, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Sounds like a personal problem. I have it installed and can't even tell it is installed it runs so light.

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

You can easily remove the things you don't want with the uninstaller. The Site Advisor has an uninstaller right in its Program folder...:)

3. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Doesn't seem to be working any more. Mcafee gives me "unknown error". Thnkx any way.

4. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hello bigc. I'm not writing this to bash McAfee, but don't you find the lack of configuration options a problem with McAfee? Also when I tried McAfee 2007, the 3-in-1 version, when it first came out, I couldn't find the log files any where in the GUI. I also could figure out where you can clear the log files. Do the log files, where ever they are, just keep growing, and taking up disk space?

5. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

QFT, and like I said before I have no idea why people are so excited about free McAfee, when it should be obvious that it's inferior in every way compared to other quality pay AV's and suites, not to mention the quality free AV's. To each his own though.

6. Doom Scythe

Doom Scythe Registered Member

I am not so sure about McAfee being inferior in every way. McAfee certainly have their merits to warrant them the second largest AV vendor. So does Symantec. People say that Norton and McAfee takes up a lot of memory, might be true, but the main idea is that they do their job. It's uncomplicated to run them, and everything is done automatically. For those who are not technically inclined, I truly see Norton and McAfee to be the AV to go for. I am not saying that other AV don't do their job, they might even do it better, for those who knows how to configure things, but for most of the uninitiated, the 'big' brands are the way to go.

On a personal note, I've been using McAfee VirusScan and Personal Firewall for more than 9 months now. All I can say is that they seem to do their job, though there are a couple of issues such as False Positives and Auto Deletion. I had one of my files deleted by McAfee, without my permission, and that was one of the MIRC scripts. But it also saved me from a few trojans. My surfing habits are not entirely healthy, but McAfee have saved me quite a few times from Trojans and Viruses, keeping me safe up till now. Of course, I also have my common sense with me all the time.

7. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Thanks, will try it out :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.