McAfee AV free for a year

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by halcyon, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

1) Why use it if it's not as good as your current AV?
    2) Why use it when Avast!, Avira, and AOL AVS have better detection rates, are also free, and use less resources?

o_O

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i aint using it, im using my drweb. :)

i aint turning down any 1year free subscription.

tests tests tests, you really think they show detection rates, sure... nod is terrible now right? *lol* i dont think so

99% this and 97.8 that, its not worth mentioning... tried and tested method is the best way to try a product, not hearsay.

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

And what happens when McAfee deletes files?
    I guess you have to learn the hard way.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

mcafee has never done anything i didnt like anyway,
    its always quarentined when i used it, with options to restore if needed be.

but as i mentioned, im USING drweb.

--------I guess you have to learn the hard way.

you speak to me as if im a child *lol*

funny, if you want me to call you daddy, it aint gonna happen. :D

5. Howard Kaikow

That's not the point.

You can examine various threads in the McAfeee VS 10 and 2007 forums where users, in addition to myself, have described cases in which McAfee has deleted files without quarantine or backup.

Why take the risk?

Users have to be warned about this risk.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no, it just sounds like your bashing.

whenever ive tried it, its quarentined... and either if it does delete the virus, thats its job so i aint bothered, whether its a false positive or not, ive never ever had any problems with anything like this with mcafee.

problems about mcafee in the past were similar to nortons old versions, hoggy... but performance issues has never been an issue for me, whether some people have them or not, if they dont do it for me, and never have.... it simply does not exist to me. :)

7. Howard Kaikow

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Personally, I'm not worried about it. I make regular images of my drive.

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I quoted you earlier where you said you have it installed, so now it appears that you uninstalled it, or at least that is what you would like us to believe. Anyhow, most of us use the independent AV reviews as guidelines, but there's no denying that McAfee offers absolutely no advantages over other popular freeware AV's. All of the McAfee threads on this forum also offer little compassion for their product. In addition your comments seem to imply that credible reviews from IBK, av-test, and others offer little to no benefit at all.

Fortunately I have a large customer base, and in my opinion McAfee should be avoided at all costs (except for the command line scanner if you are looking for a second opinion without having to uninstall your current AV). I am not implying that your opinion holds no merit, but since you are Dr. Web zealot I have to wonder why you would even consider installing McAfee on your rig in the first place. Heck I should uninstall Kaspersky and NOD32 from my rigs and put this 12 mo. free version of McAfee since detection rates are irrelevant, I can go from 2 to 12 processes w/ more resource usage, then I can hop on the McAfee satisifed customer bandwagon and trick others into thinking that it's a quality product.

My $.02 cents.......

10. Howard Kaikow

But that's the rub.

Perhaps, it's better in the most recent version, but if you search thru the McAfee VS 10 forum, you will find folkes stating that apps were broken, perhaps, even entirely removed, with SILENT deletion of files, i.e., you do not know until it istoo late.

When I ran my test with VS 2007, I did a full image backup immediately before the scan, then restored/tested ALL my drives immediately after the scan.

I only know about the 12-14 files listed at te end of the scan, I do not know if any others were affected.

It's just not worth the risk, especially as there are better products available that are free, or low cost, after rebates.

Almost every week KAV is available free, or very low cost, at certain online/retail vendors.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

in the uk kav is always £25 and kis6.0 is always £50
    why dont people in the UK get rebates?
    we always draw the short straw.
    lodore

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

My country doesn't get any rebates either. Lets just face it: We're unlucky guys. :(

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

sure i had it installed on my pc, ha nothing is touching my drweb or forcing a place in the starting lineup for my laptop which i use 90% of the time. :D

sure you may think a 90+ detection rate is poor,i know some people do, i personally do not and mcafee has always been a big player in antivirus technology, ive never had any problems with deleting files users want to keep, so i dont see the problem in using this 2007 version.

sure it uses quite a few processes but i noticed very little slowdown in using JUST the virusscan 2007 and it does not run as slow (ie bootup and browsing speed when compared to nod32 or kaspersky), so see no problem recommending this software,processes dont really mean nothing, because it all runs in good speed, and its there for anyone who wishes to use it, and too its free for a year, so hats off for the OP finding this deal.

the problem is, there are now sooo many good companys and avs on the market, that alot getting recommened now, and it all just depends what the user prefers.

my 2 cents, or is it pennys... i dont know o_O

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Not that I doubt what you say, but do you know of malware testing in which the free versions of Avast, Antivir, AVS and AVG were tested? I have saw test results of the paid versions (except avs, of course) of these programs but nothing of the free versions lately. Also, it would be nice if McAfee's av + as were in the same test group.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

avast has the exact same detection as paid, including spyware detection too, all the same.

AVS should be the same as kaspersky in detection.
    avira should be the same, minus the spyware/adware detections

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

McAfee is running with 7 processes totaling 23MB of memory usage (by the Vista task manager). It seems perfectly normal to me. Processes count doesn't mean anything. There could be 40 processes but if it uses only 23MB memory total, thats fine actually. Sure it makes task manager list hard to read but thats the only downside.

17. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Personally i don't run Mcafee.But i have a friend who swears by it.Does all their products have this glitch in them?My buddy runs the suite.Mary Landesman over at About.com rated this program #1 for a while but i've noticed that it's now #4.Could this file deletion be the reason it doesn't look as good anymore?Just a thought.

18. Siro

Siro Registered Member

Installed it on my old pc and seem to be running well :)

19. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Maybe we're getting so many rebates here in the US because we're just becoming accustomed to the huge price increases in gasoline! Europe has experienced it for years, but now it's come to the USA. The vendors probably feel we can't afford the software anymore!:'(

That said, I just submitted a new post regarding Frye's Outpost.com and the various security programs they have free AR this week.

Does anyone know if one can just install the McAfee AV without the other accoutrements? I would just use the AV and keep Zone Alarm Pro if possible.

Also, when does the one year period start? Is it upon installation or when they send you the key? I'll probably buy something free AR anyway when my Avira Premium free 6 month trial ends.

20. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Seems like all of a sudden people are praising McAfee. My ISP, Comcast Cable offers McAfee VS 11 and McAfee firewall free to it's customers. I don't particularly like the GUI or the configuration options, but with all the love being shown for McAfee in this thread, I'm thinking why spend money on other AVs, just use the free McAfee. :doubt:

21. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Yeah, I wish someone would come out with a free Norton Internet Security. It would be interesting to see the response to it, lol.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

funny you say that.
    i could get free NIS from BT.
    its only the crappy 2006 version thou.
    lodore

23. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Even I would pass on that one, lol.

24. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

You can choose what you want to download during the installation process. Also you don't get a key, you just register at the website and create a password. Do this prior to actually installing since you will use the password during the installation process...:D

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    This is one of the most annoying pieces of software I have ever seen. Slow, cumbersome, not very configurable. Installs **** that I do not want or need... Horrible.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.