Mcafee Av enterprise - spyware module and other goodies.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by NGRhodes, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I have the option of using Mcafee enterprise and antispyware module on my home machines (as we have a licence at work), though I am currently using NOD32 (as I have paid for it).

I see many review of mcafee enterprise AV and it does pretty well, but wondered if anyone has tested how well the anti spyware, buffer overflow protection, access protection etc work, as a quick google did'nt bring any useful info.

Cheers, Nick

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I would say the enterprise version of McAfee is generally not bad . According to popular reviews I have read its spyware (PUP) detection is Medium+ but so is NOD32's .

Changing to McAfee from NOD32 you'll lose:
    - HTTP scanning
    - The marvelous heuristics of NOD32 to catch unknown threats (McAfee lucks good heuristics)

You can also read numerous detection reviews between NOD32 and McAfee.
    The final decision is up-to-you , noone can change it :thumb:

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Would you notice or care if there was a performance hit using one or the other?

4. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

McAfee's 8.5 version is much stronger in access protection. The heuristics detection comparison is unclear to me because I'm not experienced enough to test the combination of the on-access scanner+unwanted programs policies against nod's. In sheer detection rates, however, Nod's has come ahead in most of the reviews I've read. I do think, however, that the port / file/folder/registry blocking in McAfee more than makes up for the heuristics short comings. In memory usage, VSE uses about 35MB.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I recently replaced McA Enterprise (whatever version was the latest 5 months ago when they renewed their license) with NOD32 Enterprise Edition at a large accounting firm. Within minutes of that reboot on the workstations...quite a few were reporting into the console with adware threats that NOD32 found.

6. Cadoul

Cadoul Registered Member

Hi,
    I agree. Many time i replaced Mcafee with nod32 or Kav. The new version discovered malwares. Then...

Sincerly
    cadoul from France

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.