McAfee Anti-Spyware Enterprise Edition v.8.5

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Perman, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: My friend's boss installs this app on all workstations. And he is very much impressed. I searched McAfee's web site and have the same impression too. But my not-too-good past experience w/ McAfee's AS(for home user ?) has put me on hold. Has anyone here had some hand-on experience w/ this Enterprise edition? I like to hear from you. Thanks. BTW, this edition is a kind of standalone copy.

2. mitchelson

mitchelson Registered Member

A perfect app combines AV with HIPS functions( very strong FD & RD/ basic AD). To some extend, it can replace FW as having the ability to monitor&block any ports according to user's setting.

The configuration is a little complex, may take some time for you to get uesd to . But, it can nearly prevent any threats if the setting is good enough.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,Michelson: Thanks for reply. So this AS does have AV's ability plus some FW capability. Is that why you do not have AV on your desktop unit? Would it conflict w/ any AV (I use Avast home) or Prevx1. You also use Prosecurity, would their HIPS function be in conflict each other. Since v.8.5 sa is a standalone version, perhaps AS w/ enterprise class is a big plus for home user ? I will see whether I can get a hand on test run. Wish me luck.

4. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

McAfee AV/AS Enterprise Edition v.8.5/i 8.5.

from what I've heard , its not friendly for home users but could best tools for a security admin. You need to know how to set good rules or at least you download good rules from somewhere.

5. mitchelson

mitchelson Registered Member

1. Wish you good luck! ;)
    2. As I already have installed MaAfee 8.5i which is basically a AV, I don't have to plus another one. In fact, I once installed Avira Antivir as a supplement which can cooperate wth McAfee very well.
    3. ProSecurity has no conflict with McAfee 8.5i .
    4. The AS module is working with the same definition of AV , it can't run as a standalone app.

6. ahinterl

ahinterl Registered Member

Have McAfee Enterprise programs installed as well (Firewall, VirusScan, Anti-Spyware), and catched a malware this week which McAfee cannot clean/detect with the on demand scanner, only report with the real time scanner (get continuous popups of the anti spyware module)! F**k! Downloaded the Prevx Demo just to do anything to get rid of the s**t trojan.

This experience showed me McAfee isn't all that good in the anti malware arena.

Andreas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.