Mcafee and artemis!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tsilo, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

@apm:
    They key to all cloud av solutions ( from McAfee, Panda, Trend ) is
    1. Scanner should trigger a file as Suspicious. Its entirely up to the capacity of scanner to be able to detect new malware as suspicious.
    2. If the scanner detects file as malicious, it will send a query with MD5 hash to its server. Except for Panda, which allows you to upload to Panda Labs Sandbox the file, where its studied by BOTS to generate signatures.
    3. Now the AV server, should already have a listing for the MD5 as malicious. This is only possible if its been already analyzed and verified by some AV technician.

So cloud AV is not at fault, but it needs to be supported by a good local scanner and AV lab.

Also I think you used VirusTotal.com for your result. Again using VirusTotal.com as basis of comparison/tests is a act of futility. Best to check in real-world PCs and compare.

2. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi, here is the link:
    http://daol.aol.com/security/virusscan-plus

If you have an AOL mail address you can still get it for free, but it seems that the policy is not to make it available for free to everyone. The Mcafee Viruscan PLus is still free but the suite has never been offered for free.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  3. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I tried Panda and its TruPrevent set of technologies, which include in-the-cloud scanning. Not bad, actually.

As for McAfee+Artermis, it frequently hits malware right on the nose now on VT. Kudos to McAfee ... about time to pick up those faultering scores.

Does anyone consider McAfee as worthy to belong on their hard drive yet?

4. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Tried again, still doesn't work. Won't let me download the program.

5. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I know it's VT, but these rogue files are often legit malware - and using Artemis, McAfee seems to come up shorter on these than other files.

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Am running it right, no complaints so far - things are smooth

Edit: Putting a drag on my gaming! ): bye bye

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'd wait a little to see future scores. My AntiVir license expires in April, so I'll see how things look then. I can get McAfee for free with Comcast if I want. I'm a little worried about the Rogue AV blocking, and how much they keep up. I just click out of those sites, but some users will download.

8. smage

smage Registered Member

I have tried it, got the serial number and the download manager for ViruscanPlus. I have not installed it however.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

FWIW- I have heard that some rogue's download themselves when you click out of a page- some sort of way the page is set up/disquised and you click the X in the corner. Better to kill your browser in task manager when you get to one of those pages is what I have heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.