McAfee 2008 and privacy or lack thereof ...

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Fly, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I recently 'upgraded' to the 2008 version of Virusscan Plus (virusscan 12, firewall 9 etc.). It's about the same as their security suite, just a bit lighter.

I have a subscription, and got the new version.

I wish I had paid more attention to the issue of privacy. I didn't read the fine print carefully. Apparently, they have had a 'relationship' with Doubleclick for a few years.

Since the latest upgrade it is no longer possible to scan and remove tracking/spyware/adware cookies. (Which was important to me).

But I have also other security software, and it now turns out that I no longer get Doubleclick cookies on my pc ! (I know of a few sites that always created Doubleclick cookies). Because of the relationship between McAfee, Doubleclick and others (my other software almost never catches cookies these days, it used to be very different) I presume that the transfer of information is more 'efficient' and no longer uses cookies. I suspect an online identity is created, but I don't know how far that goes.

I'm wondering if I should just get rid of McAfee. To what extent is my privacy violated ? I suspect it doesn't end with Doubleclick. I don't have a clear picture.

Some time ago, I got a new version of the Spy Sweeper, and was offered an 'ask.com' toolbar. I did opt out ...

I'm not sure if other software products don't do the same as McAfee. I got McAfee just for the antivirus part (standalone antivirus is not available to customers outside North America). The only real use I have for McAfee is the firewall and the antivirus. I have two (other) commercial antispyware products that have excellent active antispyware protection, so I don't need McAfee for that.

Suggestions, perspectives ? I'm not looking for a change that gets me again in a similar situation.

Doubleclick supposedly (see Wikipedia) collects/tracks IP's. (My IP is more or less static) Am I, in a way, too late to 'opt out' ? (See connection McAfee, Doubleclick)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.