mbrguard alternative?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lolpop, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lolpop

lolpop Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

LUA (limited user account)

Furthermore, LUA does much more than MBRGuard.

3. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

MBRguard will be integrated into AppGuard version 2.0, providing 64 bit support. AppGuard 2.0 will be released in August.

Indeed, LUA precludes MBR write operations. At that point, the remaining value of MBRguard is protection from processes with higher privilege, either
    - hijacked/compromised 'trusted' processes
    - processes benefiting from a successful privilege escalation attack.

These are quite rare for consumers. On the other hand, if you work in the Defense Department or some other high-value target...

Also, if one should use a tainted installer, MBRguard would block write operations to MBR. However, I should think the installer would pursue other targets. And, on a 64 bit Windows, one enjoys pretty good protection for those other resources (e.g., drivers, kernel, etc.) from even this. In my own simple way of regarding things, with their new 64 bit OS's, Microsoft has significantly improved protection of resources in what I call 'system space'.

Our high value target customers want MBRguard integrated into AppGuard (i.e., AppGuard Enterprise). Frankly, a standalone 64 bit MBRguard hasn't been a huge priority. We've always been intent on integrating it into AppGuard. Have we underestimated interest in such a standalone 64 bit MBRguard agent? If so, I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Eirik

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Eirik good explanation thanks buddy;)

5. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

I am very interested in that tool, yes!

The new x64 TDSS rootkit uses the MBR to bypass PatchGuard. So i think a x64 MBR-Guard would be a very nice litle feature to close this gap!

I know that UAC protects the MBR but a lot of installers needs admin rights. If the installer is infected the computer will become a bot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.