MBR sector is infected?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by zlad, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zlad

zlad Registered Member

Hi!

I installed an ESS on my computer. (Version number: 3.0.650.0, Language: Hungarian, Personal Edition) When I do an full on-demand scan (in-depht scan) and ESS check my operation memory, it says, that (it will be an imperfect translation): "the MBR sector of one of the pysichal disks (Disk 0) is infected - OK", and "the active system starting sector(sorry for this) of one of the pyschial disks (disk 0) is infected - OK". How could be OK, if it's infected? And in the end of the scan the program says, that I haven't infected items on my computer. What does it mean? Do I have an boot-virus or what? Thanks for the helping!

(z)

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you have the "List all files" option enabled or disabled in the profile you used for the on-demand scan?

3. zlad

zlad Registered Member

Yes, this option is enabled in the in-depth scan's profile. Should I disable it?

4. saffron

saffron Registered Member

MBR infections are quite rare these days, but that's not to say you don't have one.

Having "virus protection" enabled in CMOS, or aftermarket drive partitioning, can cause false alarms with many AVs, so check this first.

You'll find an undocumented FDisk command to "fix" the MBR all over the place in Google. MBR infectors like Monkey will love you to death if you use it. Be sure to back up anything you don't want to lose.

Your best option is to wait for advice from ESET before doing anything.

5. zlad

zlad Registered Member

Hi.

I already wrote to the hungarian resellers of ESET products, but they haven't answered yet. So I have to wait. Thanks for your replying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.