MBR is out of date

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Antarctica, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hello,
    Sometimes I get this message from FD ISR saying I should update the MBR. Any idea why and how to do that?

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

No sorry, that's a new one on me. Which version of fd-isr is that?

3. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Wondering about that myself o_O
    Using the latest version 3.20 build 202.

Attached Files:

4. Antarctica

Using the latest version.

Eldar, this is the exact same message I get. Glad to know I am not the only one.

5. tradetime

ok, that surprises me (but then many things about computers do :) ) since Fd-isr doesn't bother with mbr anymore, or so I thought. It seems a bit like telling you ur AV is out of date, afraid I can't help, but will be interesting to see what one of the experts has to say.

6. Antarctica

This is really strange because when I go in the Start Menu from FD ISR, as suggested by the message I don't see anything to "Create a new MBR"o_O

7. tradetime

No I just looked throgh all the options myself, and see no reference to the MBR. As I sad b4 it was my uderstanding that fd-isr stopped messing with the MBR in this or a previous version, so I'm puzzled.

the command fdisk -u will update the mbr keeping all partitions.....I think....but have someone who knows what they are talking about confirm this before using it.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Wonder if it could be a remnant of an older version left on our systems if we upgraded the newer version on top of the old version?

Acadia

9. Antarctica

Hi Acadia, as for myself I always do a clean install for any Software I upgrade.:)

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Then maybe they forgot to remove the coding for that feature when they made the latest version? :doubt:

Acadia

11. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Yep, really strange since it doesn't use MBR anymore. o_O
    No AV out of date, so that's not it.
    Will try your other suggestion when confirmed by someone who knows it a bit better. Not doubting it may help, but better make sure before performing that command.
    Anyway thanks for your help. ;)
    Nope, uninstalled the previous version on my laptop running Windows MCE and upgraded to Vista.
    Installed the latest FDISR-version, although it's always possible something was left behind. The question is what :doubt:

12. tradetime

Absolutely, be sure and get confirmation from someone who actually knows, someone like Peter, will be along in due course, and since he both uses fd-isr and understands computers vastly more than I do he likely can say whether that command would be of use or a seriously bad idea.

13. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Just tried it for the fun :D
    It's an unknown command.

14. Antarctica

Gee, your'e brave man.:D

15. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Too late. :D ;)
    Will wait until Peter or someone else responds to this problem.
    It's annoying, that's all, but for the rest FD-ISR works great. :)

16. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

No big deal, got my images to fall back on, in case it corrupts my system. :D :cool:

17. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Antarctica,

The message that Elder posted above in Post 3 is referring to the option to update the MBR Backup floppy. In FD's menu, look under Help -> FirstDefence-ISR Manual -> Options -> MBR Backup Options, and it will explain about using the MBR Backup Wizard to make a copy of the MBR for safekeeping.

A reminder to occasionally make a new backup can be scheduled too.

Hope that helps,

Snap

18. tradetime

No can't see anything like that in my manual. I suspect that was a feature of the old fd-isr when it used to play with MBR.
    Here's what's in my manual.

Attached Files:

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It is not mentioned anywhere, it only gave those instructions for the last build where you had to make a floppy.

20. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Yes, that was a feature in the previous version.
    Can't find anything here. :doubt:

21. Antarctica

Yeah, this is quite strange because I always do a "clean install" when I install new build.

@snapdragin, thanks for your help but as the others I can't see anything about the MBR in the Help Menu.

22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sorry guys, I know FDISR pretty good, except when there are technical problems.
    I hesitate to recommend "fixmbr", because I don't know anything about it.
    Do at least some research on this command before you really use it and make sure you have a backup of your system.

The latest build has no MBR functions anymore, because you don't need them anymore.

23. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Yes, it appears that the option to make a copy of the MBR was only available in the earlier version; not the latest one. Under "Tools -> Options" there was a tab called "MBR backup" which also gave you the option to schedule a reminder to make another backup of the MBR. That tab isn't available in the newer versions of FD. :doubt:

I'm not sure (it's been awhile) but I think a scheduled reminder was checked by default. It could be that even though you uninstalled the earlier version, the scheduled reminder might still be active from that previous version?

24. tradetime

Looking at the warning again, it says:
    Your FirstDefence-ISR MBR Backup is out of date, so I would be wary of using any commands to alter your actual MBR. So since fd-isr no longer does MBR backups, or takes much interest in the MBR, could it be, if you had an older version of fd-isr on your system that there is an old MBR backup somewhere that it is detecting, or any other software that creates backups of your MBR that it can see?
    Though from the image posted it clearly thinks it can still backupthe MBR, has to be something from an older version still interacting.

25. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I kept the old MBR backup I made, with the instructions etc but as yet I haven't had a message like yours. I did uninstall previous version completely along with snapshots as I had a problem at the time with the copy engine, but I kept the MBR thing (don't know why!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.