mbr contains probably unknown TSR boot virus

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by zerowind, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerowind

zerowind Registered Member

Just ran a scan on my new notebook and am getting this error "mbr sector of the 1. physical disk contains probably unknown TSR.boot virus [7]."

I'm very careful about what I load on my machine and considering this is an almost brand new machine, I fairly confident that this is a FP (did a search and found this to be the case a lot of times) I wanted to somehow verify this with Esset so this can be updated in their databases.

I do have a diagnostic partition as well as a media direct partition (allows to boot into dvd/media player without booting into a full session of windows)

Is there a way I can submit this for examination and definition update?

I will go ahead and submit a report to support as well with a link to this thread.

If there's anything else someone could recommend, I would appreciate it.

BTW, I did a ton of research and decided on nod32. I believe it is by far the *best* AV out there. Keep up the great work. I have recommended this to other friends and coworkers as well.

PS. The same thorough research had me decide on outpost firewall as my personal firewall. It is one of the best, up there with nod32 in terms of being "the best of the best" --Just trying to save people time :)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I got a boot virus on my digital camera too.. Or at least, that's what NOD is telling me.. No idea why :)

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Whenever you turn it on it will take a picture at random? :D :eek: :D

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

no, it has random zoom. :D

6. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Zerowind - If you know how to create a Bart PE bootable CD then you can download and install the NOD32 plugin for it and clean the boot virus that way

7. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Of course that is only after you've read Ronjor's post above.
    Unknown TSR boot virus is something that ESET want to be involved in personally - either to collect a sample, or aid in cleaning, or both :thumb:

Cheers :)

8. i_kenefick

i_kenefick Registered Member

No offense. But ONLY listen to ESET staff for this one. Any other methods may render your windows installation useless. MRB infectors are few and far between these days... might be a false alarm. Be sure to consult with ESET only. Use Ronjor's advice!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.