MBAM, Spysweeper, Spyware Doctor, SAS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by whitedragon551, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

1. Boclean was discontinued not Combofix

2. HJT is not discontinued and it can still be used against some types of malware.

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I never said they were, however both scanners offer spyware detection and removal.

No it's not. A lot of reputable vendors are using the Bitdefender engine as well. They scored Advanced+ @ AV-C in both the on-demand and proactive tests in 2009.

No it has not, and it is not tied to anything Comodo.

Again you are incorrect. HJT 2.0.3 beta was released last month. Let's not forget it's one of the most popular tools for picking out infections.

Your comments come as no surprise since I see that you're using Spy Sweeper. ;)

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I dislike Spysweeper with a passion. Where did I say I used it?

HJT is NOT a scanner and never will be. It does not offer any real time protection like the mention softwares in the title. It is irrelevant to this thread.

I did mistake Combofix for Boclean.

F-Secure and ESET do offer spyware protection, but face it. They specialize in virus detection and are much better at virus detection, but suck at spyware detection and removal.

Now lets get back on topic since you have failed to name anything better than MBAM which is a topic of discussion along with Spysweeper, SD, and SAS.

Is there a company out there that does anti-malware testing like AVC?

4. progress

progress Guest

:D

Here is another one: A² :)

No :(

5. whitedragon551

A-Squared I do use, but not because its a necessity. It was a GAOTD program awhile back so I snagged it. The Ikarus engine is complete crap with all the FPs.

6. progress

progress Guest

I know ... :oops:

Maybe you should try Ad-Aware Anti-Malware ;)

7. whitedragon551

Or Ill stick to MBAM. Im just realling hoping to find unbiased testing for the programs in the thread title.

8. EliteKiller

Here.

You asked me "what more robust alternatives" in regards to using SAS which was the basis for my response. I simply listed an assortment of tools. I also don't need an explanation of what HJT doesn't do.

Nothing is 100% on any given day.

I didn't realize we were supposed to be naming something better than MBAM. :rolleyes: It also appears that you haven't always been a fan of MBAM. What's changed your POV?

FWIW the topic of this thread should not be what is better because that would equate to A vs. B. The contents of your original post lead me to believe that you're looking for an unbiased comparative. If you took a few minutes to search the forum you would see that similar questions have been asked over the years. AFAIK the closest you're going to get is Neil Rubenking's reviews. Languy99 also has some on youtube. In the end you really need to do your own testing instead of relying on the opinion of others.

9. whitedragon551

Wow nice thread for 2008.

This isnt an A vs B thread. And nobody ever asked anybody to name something better than MBAM. This is a thread looking for unbiased information if you read the OP. As far as I know there may not be any comparatives out there and all there is at this point for the topic software is opinion. If you dont have one your more than welcome to leave.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  10. EliteKiller

Short term memory?
    I not only gave my opinion I listed a couple of sources for reviews. Please stop being so obtuse.

11. whitedragon551

No you misread.

You have failed to name anything better than MBAM, Spysweeper, SD, or SAS at malware removal.

I was about to come back and edit the last post and say thanks for the review links.

12. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

13. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Thanks Saraceno,

Hopefully we were there abouts around a year or more ago but what has changed in that time is the testing model used as metering guage.

The movement away from static custom scanning a collection of dated malwares samples towards realworld infections fresh from the web gives a more relevent return on results as to how a software would protect their users today on the internet :thumb:

One of my work colleagues posted this as a responce to custom scan testing,i found it very amusing but boy does he make his point :thumb:
    http://my.opera.com/GT500/blog/the-futility-of-online-anti-virus-and-anti-malware-tests

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Ade, good article.

Some testing organisations are starting to make changes to their testing, but whether the average joe surfing the net realises that testing should change to better match their browsing behaviour (current downloads through google rather than threats that they'll never see) is another matter.

I mean, most have grown accustomed to feeling protected just by what a product says on the box, 'best protection', without knowing how a product performs in the real world. 'Best protection', yep, so I can download and install whatever I like! :ninja:

About MBAM, the paid version with the IP blocker and real-time protection is worth every cent. Hopefully you don't feel pressure to make any major program changes anytime soon, as MBAM already performs well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.