MBAM anti-malware application

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by twl845, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I know the carnival,big black bugs crawling acros my friends desktop,flashing popups and stuff.
    BTW i had this discussed in an earlier thread concerning SAS cleaning abilities,where i had to admit that SAS failed on me because of me( assumed that system restore points were deleted,before cleaning,but it was'nt.)

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I ran MBAM couple days ago, it found Trojan.FakeAlert in my C:\System Volume Information\_restore xxxxx,

A F.P. ?

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Possibly. However check the MBAM quarantine to see if it's there, then look under 'more tools' and submit the file to MB for further analysis. You could also check it on virscan.org and virustotal.

4. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

What program (HIPS software I assume) were you running that gave you the popups? I don't know if this is related, but I did notice that after installing MBAM that my context menu had changed. Before installation one of the options on the context menu was "Scan with Superantispyware." After installation that option disappeared from the context menu and was replaced with "Scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware." I don't remember the installation procedure asking me if I wanted MBAM in the menu, but I know I wasn't very happy that SAS had disappeared. I was able to fix the problem and have both apps in the menu, but I'm wondering if this is something related to the popups you received. So far I like MBAM, although I really don't like the idea of any program making itself a default app or changing file associations without my prior permission.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Do you guys really trust this app and can you yourselves who bought into it can show some proof in screenshots how it is been effective against malwares or rootkits?

Curious.

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

It was way back in 2006 that Nick from SAS was almost beaten to death,so to speak that i felt sorry for him. The harsh critics he had to endure at the time would anybody scared away from Wilders but not for him !!
    And see how it evolved with time into what we have today. :D

To show and proof his dream came trough had anything to do with Nick ,more so then the ''constructive remarks'' here on Wilders.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  7. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

Having just installed it and, as far as I know, having a clean system, it hasn't had the opportunity to show me what it can do. However, I could say the same thing about any of my security apps. My AV as never alerted (except on a few FP's), SAS has never alerted or detected anything on scan, SSM has never warned me of anything illegitimate starting up... I could go on. But that is simply because I am an ultra-safe surfer and take the property security measures to mitigate my chances of becoming infected. So at least in my circumstances, lack of detection is like an argument from silence.. it doesn't really prove anything. I did some research on MBAM before I ever decided to install it, and I have found nothing to make me distrust it or the company. It is available for download on several sites I trust (which have also tested it and attest to its trustworthiness). I saw no reason why I should avoid it.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

At the time I was installing, I was unaware that the new version of my FW had a bug which sent out the pop ups. The bug got fixed and I uninstalled MBAM and all traces of it in the registry and programs page of the FW, and re-installed it with only one pop up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.