MBAM anti-malware application

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by twl845, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I definetely agree. When the time comes, I will try the free product for a while before I consider buying. Perhaps the word will get back to the company that trial versions are good business. ;)

2. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

I assure you all we are working on a trial of the product. The scanner and updating has been, and always will be free of charge.

Thanks for the support (and the criticisms) everyone.

Marcin

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I think certain application deserve a little faith. Yes, there is no trial of the on-access scanner. So what? If you don't have that much faith in the company to purchase AM now you never will.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thanks for the news and post RubbeR Ducky. :D
    I'm sure that when the trial is ready it will be welcomed by many here. :thumb:

Right no trial yet, but that is coming.
    The scanner is available for free so why not?
    To each their own though.
    Myself, I've had faith in Malwarebytes enough to beta test their app.
    And I don't have faith in many betas. :D
    Glad I did,turned out to be a fine finished product. :thumb:

5. n8chavez

No worries on my end. I bought MBAM yesterday via SixFiles (thanks Teknokrat). I am very excited about this product. Although, I will admit that I'd like to see it in action.

6. quietman7

quietman7 Registered Member

I have used MBAM numerous time to assist others with malware infection removal. It is very effective especially against the rogue applications that keep appearing, smitfraud and vundo variants. Those involved in its development like Rubber Ducky are dedicated to its ongoing improvement and I appreciate all their hard work and efforts with this product.

7. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

the free version works flawlessly as an on-demand scanner, in the same way that asquared free does. the update goes smoothly and quickly with a progress bar. the scan is quick and saves a log file. it's easy to use in safe mode. you can tell that it is well thought out. the forum is very receptive to suggestions and the atmosphere is good. these guys are busting their fannies on these programmes, and they know what they're doing.
    it's a good feeling to have another malware remover on the computer, just in case.

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I like what I hear and Have already experienced the excellent work your product(free scanner) has delivered.

We all know SAS and Nick both have been very successful in making SAS above the crowds. I have sensed many similarities on your products, I dubbed yours is an understudy to SAS.

Keeping up the good work. Lending your ears to the consumers/customers is undoubtably the vital ingredient of success, small venture/new comer in particular.

9. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Faith? Oh I do have faith in them. What I also have is my own (quite possibly unique) system setup here. Which is why a trial with working resident protection would be nice :)

To see whether it runs or not; and if it runs, how smoothly. As Aradia here (my PC ^^) only has 512MB RAM, it's important to see how much MBAM uses.

And no, I most likely will not be adding more RAM, instead I'm likely saving my pennies for a whole new setup, as this one is getting quite archaic :D

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm sure it'll be fine. If not uninstall it. Glad to hear you're going for a new set up. Two things to consider are: Vista Ultimate reqiures 2 gb of Ram to run the system and have some left over, and Dell will be glad to let you pay off your computer on time so you can have your new computer now and save to pay for it at the same time. I'm sure the other manufacturers have time payments as well. :D

11. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Oh no, no Dell for me. Never! Aradia is custom built, each part handpicked by yours truly. The only real way to go :) And don't even get me started on Vista... I think I'll stick to XP as long as possible.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

XP forever for me as well. A custom built sounds great! That is out of my league. I'm retired on a fixed income.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I just installed the free version and ran a quick scan. I must have had 5 or 6 FW popups during the installation and received one popup I believe after the scan that stated MBAM was trying to take over SuperAntispyware, where upon I clicked block. Has anyone else seen this attempt to take over SAS, or am I misinterpreting it?

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Not this lighting speed ! although I have said that MBAM is an understudy to SAS. :)

I run Both free on demand scanner, during MBAM's installation I did not have any warning in this nature.

15. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

microsoft just extended xp (i would assume support for it) and i think they will continue to. it's hard to avoid all the problems and complaints associated with vista. people are singing the praises of win98. i hear some people even gloating about still using win98. if they pull the plug on xp, i think you'll see a stampede of people that switch to linux, or an alternative OS, and never return to microsoft.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The pop up concerning SuperAntispyware was After the installation during the scan.

17. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Can I please see a screenshot? The firewall messages might have been because you left the "Check for Updates" option checked after installation.

No clue on the SAS popups though, would like to take a look :).

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

How can I give a screenshot of a pop up that is gone? I'll check the check for updates option. I presume it should be off? Later - There is no Check for updates to leave checked. All the is, is a check for updates button.

19. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Sorry about that, I meant if you could reproduce it.

No, I was only speaking about the installer. Many users do not update the product after they install it. Therefore, we added an optional "Check for Updates" function to download the latest updates after installation. This does not affect your computer after the installation is completed. You are now responsible for checking for updates :).

Let me know if I can help with anything else and hopefully you can reproduce that popup.

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK, I'll try. :)

21. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

RubbeR DuckY (or anyone else in the know),

I installed MBAM to try it out (with Returnil session lock engaged) and I have a couple of questions.

The program allows for performing a right click scan on individual files/folders, which works if MBAM is not already running (it opens MBAM and scans the selected file/folder). If you already have MBAM running (but not scanning) and then right click a file/folder and select scan a window pops up and advises that MBAM is already running and then MBAM doesn't scan the selection. So is it not possible to select an individual file or folder if MBAM is already open? I didn't see any option inside the GUI for scanning individual files/folders. Did I miss something?

Concerning the test button for determining if realtime protection is compatible with a users system; what are the most common things that cause a system to fail the test? (It failed on the system I tested it on but maybe it was due to having Returnil's Session Lock engaged?)

Thanks

22. n8chavez

No, you are not correct; MBAM has no problem scanning files and/or folders on my system if the main gui is currently open.

I have no clue on this one. I would guess that Returmil is the problem, though I cannot be sure.

23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

just installed it,small file 1,5 mb !,the free version is good enough for me,doing only on demand scans,IMO scanspeed is comparable with SAS,many languages (Dutch !!) GUI could'nt be better,simple and transparant,updates are fast and smooth,and supportforums are very helpfull,good support from the developpers team.

But as always :How it keeps up with all the presentday malware,so like to hear how it perform in detecting and cleaning,any experiences ??

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Are you using the free or paid version?

25. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I was trying out the free version. It has a "test button" to determine if the real time protection would be compatible with a users system.

You are able to right click and scan individual folders with MBAM already open? I sure couldn't, but maybe something else on my system was causing the problem. I will try MBAM again later and see if I can figure it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.