Maybe Some Reflection Will Help With TI9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bobdat, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Some time ago I posted the following as a reminder to myself to share with others who were having trouble with TI8. It may apply to users of the new TI9 too, although I don't know because I didn't upgrade yet. I hope it helps all the disappointed TI9 users zero in on the real cause of their problems if it isn't TI9 itself.

Here's something I have to remind myself about every time I have a system error or crash and blame it on Acronis:

1) Windows XP has so many patches and fixes that it's a code nightmare by now.

2) After I clean install XP Pro I have to install Service Pack 2 and then more than 25 Microsoft Windows Update patches just to arrive at a basic operating system.

3) Then, I have to install all my Dell drivers and software updates.

4) Then, I have to update Office with over 30MB of patches and fixes just to type a memo!

5) Then, I have to update each and every printer, peripheral accessory and software program I use, not to mention the daily virus, firewall and antispyware updates that get downloaded automatically.

Can you imagine what my registry looks like? And that's for a "clean" install. Imagine what it must look like after I run for a few weeks?

Why is this reminder important to me? Because, every time I run a root-level program like TrueImage 8 and get a system error, I immediately blame Acronis. You know what I've learned? That most errors are exposed while running TI8 but they have nothing to do with TI8. They originate in the buggy XP code; the sloppily written drivers I loaded; the shoddy software code my programs installed and the corruption that occurs in the registry and elsewhere as a result of running an inherently unstable operating system.

I just thought I'd share my own personal reminders with you to help illustrate the dimension of the software universe that's contained on our hard drives - and what an increasingly imperfect universe it is.

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I agree that one shouldn't be too quick to blame TI8 (or TI9) for every problem. Often other factors, as you point out, are the cause. However, the rash of problems being reported with TI9 would seem to indicate that TI9 was released well before it was ready to see the light of day. I hope that Acronis learn from this fiasco and ensure that future releases are more adequately tested. Perhaps they need more volunteer beta testers.

3. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Hope U are Not "paid" by Acronis to say that. LMAO :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.