Maybe it is time for a new distro

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I love Ubuntu but if I have to install it again, maybe I should try another distro.Since I backed up my docs etc. and Linux is free I am free to use anything.;)
    You all have helped me and you all know that I am a linux newbie.The most important thing for me is the stability and security.I only surf on internet and read e- mails and sometimes play flash games.I do not want any compiz or eye-candy.
    I do not think Linux Mint because I can easily install java jre and flash on Ubuntu and also it comes preinstalled with javajdk.
    I was going to try Pardus but it does not update flash and java.So I do not think it is secure.
    I am thinking about PCLinuxOS or OpenSUSE.Or what would you recommend.I know many of you have gone through the way I am going years ago.You are experienced, that is very important.After I find the best distro ''for me'' I am going to contribute in translation.I want to help the other Linux users.

2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

so far i didnt find any problem with any of above distro both are very good polish and rock solid

but form my experience i find open suse bit slow i didnt like default fonts install specially the partitioning part is confusing for newbies also its yast install and updates you have too many options not straight forward find little bit confusing and irritating updates are slow as compare to other distros

but if you get use to it and with to put effort and learn its one of best distro a complete distro ever made

not what the best part ofcourse yast its a complete gui tool suse is only distro which make me feel what is linux + gui really is i mean for every thing there is a tool its the only distro which provide the gui tool for apparmor till date very secure as backup by Novell very stable
    one best bootloader till date you can add other distros with gui tool just giving them path apart from partitioning if you do what with ubuntu gparted and install it entire installation is very easy and straight forward

if you want a rock solid distro which has every thing under mouse click i highly recommend this distro

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-opensuse-11.2-gnome

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensuse-11sp2.html

as for PCLinuxOS it also have Control Center like yast of open suse pclinusos very good distro indeed its pretty stable best part is multimedia and eye candy fast as compare to suse only thing its lack is it got 32 bit version only if you like to use 32 bit on your laptop its best choice for home use where is you want a professional distro for work......etc suse is one of best choice

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=suse

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/pclinuxos-2010.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_bS3bmxzyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrj1k_ypkxA

http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2010/04/pclinuxos-2010-review.html

also please check the reviews of other as well most of them given on

distrowatch.com

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Cet, not that it would really be a solution to your issues, but try out Fedora.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Probably PCLOS. You'll need to relearn stuff when using KDE though. I highly recommend Mint as well. On paper it's just an Ubuntu clone, but in practice I find that it's less buggy and more stable than Ubuntu overall. If you're happy with Ubuntu but put off by stability problems... it won't hurt to give Mint a whirl.

You can try openSUSE, or any other distro, but I bet you'll discover quickly enough why Ubuntu remains the most popular Linux distro. It's not perfect by a long shot, but compared to many of the other alternatives...

5. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

All the suggested above + MEPIS.

6. mack_guy911

last i like to add mint is not ubuntu clone mint as so much to offer even many argue that ubuntu can be tweaked to become mint even so atleast give these guys the credit to does all the tweaking pain and giving you at final best stable distro with lot of features by default
    i never face single issue in mint so far

try xubuntu 9 and mint 8 xfce you see the difference with you didnt see on mint default mint 8 got more software default installed but pretty fast as compare to xubuntu less of ram as compare to xubuntu also very stable while xubuntu give you many bugs
    same with mint 9 and ubuntu 10.04 check mint 9 update its like lighting bolt there are many small improvements but they will show you if you open your mind and heart like zen and ready to expect it.. :D

http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-linux-mint-9-isadora.html

my fav distro

1st. fedora (default system)
    2nd.Linux mint
    3rd.pclinuxos / ubuntu

at end i recommend use multiple distro's at least 2 like in cet case you have problem with one you get very frustrated and blame on distro but if you have 2 distros one give problem you can boot with second distro have chatting .....fun .....etc and in free time you can trouble shoot your other distro you dont need to sit and wait for ans

7. linuxforall

MINT may not be Ubuntu clone but it shares all the core with Ubuntu including kernel, files and updates. So if one is having issues with Ubuntu due to its design, MINT won't solve that issue in any way and to peddle it as an altertnate to Ubuntu's issues is fallacy at the most.

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I agree, used both for years and Mint is green multimedia equipped Ubuntu.

Try PCLinuxOS Gnome (if you don't want to learn KDE) or Suse, if you still have the same problems you better start looking at the hardware.

9. cet

cet Registered Member

Thank you for all the informative answers.I downloaded Linux Mint.

I am downloading PCLinuxOS KDE. I will try it if I ever have a boot problem again.

I watched those videos and I am astonished how similar PCLinuxOS is to Pardus which I had used in Virtual Machine.

Is there anyone here using PCLinuxOS.

10. linuxforall

PCLOS is an excellent effort but it now lacks x64 which is a must. Also its a one man effort compared to Ubuntu, SuSE and Fedora or even Mandriva so security patches, other issues are a question mark here but as distros go, in x32, PCLOS is very good. Before x64 Ubuntu came out, I was on PCLOS after giving up SuSE, I found it to be far more responsive.

11. cet

cet Registered Member

Fedora is interesting but I am scared to try it because many ppl say that it is on the bleeding-edge and there are many kernel crashes.

12. FastGame

I use PCLinuxOS, IMO its the best KDE distro, GNOME I use Ubuntu.

As for the 64bit vs 32bit thing.....I don't have more than 4gig ram and PCLOS supports that just fine :) I also use 64bit Ubuntu and in every day use you will not see a seat of the pants difference between 32bit and 64bit.

13. linuxforall

Not a single kernel crash here Cet, don't believe in what they say.

14. cet

cet Registered Member

I made myself a fruit cocktail.Suse,PCLos,Mint and Fedora.I will try all the live cds.What about this idea?

15. FastGame

I think it's a good idea, try them all and the one that works is always the best distro :cool:

16. mack_guy911

thats best cet at end of day its you what you like some people like suse but other dont like same happen with fedora some like it even with little problems ...........some dont so at end what matters user choice......>>:)) also i suggest you to stick with one distro at least a year
    make ubuntu/mint your one of your choice and out of fedora/suse/pclinuxos chose one make your system dual boot or triple boot if you have enough space :)

17. cet

cet Registered Member

HeHe I am writing this from Fedora LiveCD.I also tried Open Suse.Tomorrow I will try the other two, and write my comments.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Definitely try them all, and more too. That's half the fun of linux. Once you actually do install several of them though, I think you will realize why Ubuntu is #1 as others have said. Trying all the rest will give you a greater appreciation of Ubuntu, so by all means, have at it. My personal favorites are Ubuntu, Mint, openSUSE and PCLOS, although as mentioned above, there is no x64 for PCLOS.

19. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

I've used most of them and the real question for me is Kde or Gnome. I have Ubuntu Gnome on two desktops, Slackware on one old laptop and I have been using Mint on my other laptop and they all work for me. Because I was bored I just removed Mint from my laptop and installed PCLinuxOS Kde 4.4. Kde 4.4 is still Kde and I still prefer Gnome.

I have found Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, Mepis, Slackware, and PCLinuxOs to be very user friendly and very stable. I think Mint and Mepis to be the most problem free. I also have Ubuntu Server 10.04 using Samba for a home file server and I administrate the Server, which is headless, with SSH, using key authentication, from my other computers and everything works. The only distro I had trouble with was SuSE. Maybe I should have given it more time but I just couldn't relate.

Jim

20. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Nicely put, Kerodo. I agree totally. My favorites are Ubuntu Gnome (can't stand KDE), PCLinuxOS, and CentOS. You'll eventually be like the rest of us...distro hopping all the time...trying out new releases, and like already stated, that's part of the fun of using linux. And sometime in the FAR distant future (:D) you'll settle on one distro (but still keep checking others out).

Later...

21. linuxforall

Absolutely right on dot there Kerodo, while not perfect, Ubuntu has been selected by Google and IBM to further the cause of dekstop linux and there is a strong reason why it was preferred over others and its not just its popularity.

22. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

you're such a fanboy :) .

I would suggest, as others have, to try PCLinuxOS. The 2010 is quite the nice distro and they do have a gnome version if you do not like kde4 (I really don't). While some do not like the dark theme of their gnome version (I think one poetic member likened it to looking through smoked glass) I think they did a great job with the the theme. The benefit of PCLOS is that they use apt-get/synaptic like Ubuntu, so the learning curve will not be as great.

23. linuxforall

Ha ha ha I am.......but only after trying out everything else there and all have their benefits, some are definitely quicker than Ubuntu by a tad but none have what I consider to be an easy to recommend attribute like Ubuntu does.

24. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Preaching to the choir, my friend. Have you tried PCLOS Gnome?

25. linuxforall

LOL, I used PCLOS after trying out SuSE 8 for a year, this was in 1999, used it for long till Ubuntu came out with x64 and never looked back ever since, Ubuntu is main, Fedora is my plaything. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.