Maybe a Dumb Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I will probably buy KAV6 when it comes out around 15 May. I suspect it will include permission to use one license on PC and laptop with no additional charge.

Now, assuming that is true, I currently am using Avast free on the laptop. I trialed NOD32, and it was excellent with no issues. However, I use the laptop only a few weeks per year when RVing or visiting relatives who do not have computers. I use a dial up service then which is a part of Budget Dial Up.

I have used Avast free, and know several people, including family, who also use it as a result of my recommendations. None have had a single infection. We are safe surfers.
    Avast has run as smoothly as any AV I have ever tried.

I also have LnS, Ewido, Win Patrol, Counterspy, SG, and UnHack Me.

I am thinking that even if I can use my KAV6 license on the laptop, that it is running so well I hate to change anything.

I note that where Avast fell down in the AV Comparatives test was in the area of trojans and others. I am thinking, maybe incorrectly, that Ewido can make up the difference in the area of trojans.

So, would anyone here just keep my present laptop security set up? Do you think that in a real world, practicable sense that I would be less secure than if I uninstalled Avast and installed Kaspersly? No argument as to which has the best detection rates.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well you have pretty much answered your own question. no infections is not bad at all. Although ewido would probably be a wise move if you decide to keep Avast. It never hurts to layer your defense. ;)

3. iwod

iwod Registered Member

"If" KAV does allow installing it on both PC and laptop then i would install it on the laptop as well simply becoz it is more resource friendly. Since most of the time Laptop are not as powerful and have less memory.
    And for me i would get rid of Ewido / Win Patrol and CounterSpy.

Edit: It is my resource usage per security point of view. So if you want higher security layer defense is still the way to go,

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

From the Kaspersky Web Site. The bolding is mine

Pete

How to order quickly and securely

Kaspersky Lab eStore is supported by our trusted e-commerce partner - Element5. All purchases made through the Kaspersky Lab eStore are 100% secure.
    Choose the products that best suit your needs from the Kaspersky Lab eStore.
    The product(s) you choose will be displayed in your shopping cart. Select the quantity of licenses you wish to order.
    NOTE: One license is required for each machine. It is illegal to use the same license for multiple machines.
    Click the "Checkout" button in the shopping cart to move to the ordering page and fill in the order form carefully.
    Once you have submitted your order, you will be sent a link by email. Your product(s) and license key(s) will be available to download via this link.
    Download and save the key to your machine, download and install the software, then add the key via the product's interface once it's installed.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi pete,
    I do remember one of the KL dev`s (either grnic or graf) posted that one licence could be installed on 2 pc`s (on the same lan).
    They may of changed thier mind, who knows, (KL do have an habit of changing thier minds)

6. izi

izi Registered Member

I think that is only for Gold beta testers keys.

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

No, the post I mentioned was posted well before any mention of the "gold beta keys"

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If it will be a 2 pc pr license 6.0, it will only become official when 6.0 is released officially, what i can tell you that the keys just received by the beta team is for 2 pc's, so if i were you Jerry, i would simply wait for the release and buy then.

The info Peter2150 posted is current for 5.0, but there will be a new license-policy with 6.0 being released may 15th, but 5.0 license holders can of course use their license to upgrade to 6.0, they just download 6.0 and use their key during the install.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.
    As a matter of interest I just compared Avast and KAV as to Mem usage.
    Avast - 13,280
    KAV - 11,672

As to the other programs, I would not want to get rid of Scotty. I needed just now to know what the entries for Avast and KAV were in the Task Manager. I do not understand all the abbreviations that are for the various programs. Win Patrol is the easiest way for me to tell what a process is.

I'll just wait and see what the rules are for the KAV6 license. Not sure if I will ditch Avast or not even then.

Jerry

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Whatever you may say on this subject, does not alter the fact that "grnic" stated that a kav/kis licence would allow installing on 2 PC`s
    Original post at KL forum post#4 http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=8571&hl=#

11. Don Pelotas

I know that (& you know i know that), but the thing is it is not official, i have actually asked the person responsible for the policies and he could not confirm that statement, thats why i posted. It may end up like that (i think it will), but just didn't want Jerry to buy before the new policy is in effect and end up with a 1 pc license.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Don. I do intend to buy a license for KAV6 regardless of whether I can use it on my laptop and desktop.
    The difference is more whether I want to use Avast free on the laptop or change to KAV. Avast is running well, and with Ewido would seem to offer more than sufficient protection for a safe surfer. I do acknowledge that KAV is better at detection, probably better than Avast + Ewido.

I should have trialed V6 on my laptop before I put Avast on it.

I was wondering if anyone here was a user of Avast and would keep it, under my current set up, instead of changing to KAV. I think the average guy here would say to go with KAV, even though the laptop does not get much use, and with Ewido as the AT.

Of course, you can't schedule emergencies or attacks by malware, except by staying off the net.

All comments appreciated.
    Jerry

13. Don Pelotas

I guess it would depend on which combination is the lightest on the laptop, i would think Kav is, but only one way to find out. :)

14. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I am not 100% sure are you adding up all the process for Avast mem usage? ( There are 4 - 5 of them if i remember correctly. )
    Another point is that you should also take a note of the VM used by the process. You will see Avast is much larger then KAV 06.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes, there are 5 processes, and I added all and the total was 13,280k.

I do not know exactly what VM is or how to determine it. But in any case, the neither AV seems to affect my computers.

I do wonder, just for interest, whether the detection rates really do result in more or less infections for a "safe" user in the real world. I know so many average users who use AVG, which is one of the poorer ones I think, and a couple who use AVAST free at my recommendations, and none has suffered infections. In fact the only people who get infected are those who tell me that their AV was expired or had not kept up with MS updates.

I doubt anyone has much data to answer that question. I do know that those who repair computers say that they see a lot of non-op machines that use such and such, but I think most are a result of expired or not updated AVs.

I realize that one could say to try it, and I have, but I do wonder if the great detection rates of KAV, for instance, result in less infections. If so, it would seem that AVG and a few others would go out of business. I am not going to visit risky sites to learn such things.

Without a doubt I will buy KAV6, and am just thinking what I want to do about the second machine, the laptop. After all, isn't thinking about these things more fun than settling on, and buying? I always have almost as much fun deciding which firearm I might want that using it after I buy it.
    On the Avast fourm one poster posed the following.

"Well as far as I'm aware the current KAV5, not the beta 6 doesn't have the equivalent of web shield, though this http scanning is being introduced in kav6 but that is obviously still a beta product.

I does have email scanning but I don't believe it has an IM, P2P or Network shield equivalent."

I think KAV6 has all those capabilities, but am not sure about P2P or IM. ?

Best,
    Jerry

16. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Jerry.

My Sig :D
    "Security" is not a Product.

No AV is perfect. Which means even KAV and NOD user will still have the chance of getting infected. Therefore the most important thing is not the AV itself. But the security awareness on the user .

And you are right. Most of the time users are infacted because
    1. Still using SP1 for XP.
    2. Expired AV.
    3. Using IE and have bad surfing habits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.