Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus questions ??

Discussion in 'hardware' started by acr1965, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have been checking out the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus and has a few questions I was wondering if anyone could answer. First I notice that it says it comes with backup software included. Is this software reliable? Also, does a user have to pay an annual fee to use it?

I also saw that the OneTouch 4 Plus also includes the Maxtor SafetyDrill III which "automatically creates a snapshot of the entire contents of your PC’s hard drive which can be readily booted for an easy and complete recovery." Can this snapshot also be taken later or is it a one time thing? Also, is this "snapshot" different than an image? I am assuming there is a boot cd involved with this. If so, is it a Windows or Linux environment boot cd?

I am just looking for something simple to backup email, pictures and documents plus I am wanting a real simple image program.

If this does not create an image then can someone suggest an all-in-one external hard drive that includes this?

Thanks

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, and it is very simple to use.
    No, but I would advise to make a backup of the program. If you loose it you will have to contact their support and provide the serial number of your hard disk and they will send you a copy.

I do not know since I have Maxtor OneTouch 4(basic). I think that it can take multiple images (and maybe incrementals?). Most probably is a linux based cd; better ask their support. ;)

I would advise you to go for the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini (has the same features with Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus). I bought 2 Maxtor OneTouch 4 and one of them go bad after 2 weeks (it stopped spinning). :mad:

It was the last time I bought external hard disks with power supply; from now on, I'll buy only 2,5' external disks. They are far more reliable.

Panagiotis

3. acr1965

Thanks for the info. Very Helpful.

4. acr1965

I did some checking and it looks like SafetyDrill is a linux product. My computer has a problem booting linux so Maxtor is a no go. Otherwise it looks promising. But one thing I noticed in their forum was lots of complaints about customer service and what appears to be reps reading scripts to customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.