Maxthon v1.3.3 build 50 RELEASED

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Stephanos G., Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

v1.3.3 [2005-07-31]
    + 'more rss' button on rss sidebar.
    + Search drop down.
    * Fixed a user object leak which cause 'error load menu' message.
    + Podcasting support.
    + Online update will remember item's check state.
    * memory usage adjustment.
    + feed.maxthon.com , Maxthon feed directory.

http://www.maxthon.com/

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The memory usage now is much better... ;)

And even better than the other browsers...

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Doesn't this browser still use IE's engine?! :eek:

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes, but it's more secure that IE only...

I never had problems with it...

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Which is why I use Firefox. ;) :p :D

6. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

"Basically, when using an IE shell (Avant, Maxthon, SlimBrowser and the likes) you are equally at risk to all the spyware, adware and general malware that IE allows to leak through"

Not true...

with Max's ActiveX filter activated (if ActiveX is allowed)
    with ActiveX and JAVA disabled
    with Max's Content and Popup filters active

Max is safer than IE...

*IE Shell is a part of OS. Therefore the program can be faster and lighter.

Firefox takes longer to OPEN with NO tabs, than MAxthon does with 13 tabs open.

Maxthon allows local file surfing from a sidebar like IE does. Of immeasurable value to me.

Maxthon allows the quick and easy disabling of active x, scripting, and java, either globally or per tab, removing the MAJORITY of IE's security issues. I can even do windows updates with Max. With FF you can NEVER have active x capability, even when you need/want it.

Autoscroll doesn't exist for FF even WITH a plugin. Utility manager requires a plugin for FF.

Opening a new tab in FF must be done manually all the time. Maxthon has a number of tab behavior options that can be preset.

Maxthon allows the quick and easy disabling of active x, scripting, and java, either globally or per tab, removing the MAJORITY of IE's security issues.

I have seen NO evidence that FF loads pages any faster than IE.

Problem 1: FF Nightly builds -- The FF.exe is updated very often and installing nightly builds isn't like upgrading, more like replacing the whole executable folder with the new stuff. Also nightly builds were even buggy and every time I upgraded for some reason my flash plugin needed to be reinstalled.

Problem 2: Plugins -- The FF implementation paradigm (folder structure, files, etc.) was a little odd but the plugs generally worked ok. I do wish Maxthon had a 'smooth scroll' plugin like I used in FF (anyone know of 1?) but overall Maxthon's plugins, esp. sidebar plugins and plugin manager, win my vote. And M's plugins are certainly more configurable by changing plugin files. FF uses a .jar file which can't be edited (at least I don't know how) but I've changed Maxthon sidebar icons, plugin.ini's, and .htm's several times for some nice customizations.

Problem 3: Non-IE sites -- Yes FF threw some margins off and didn't load some elements correctly on some (not too many but some) pages.

Problem 4: Crashes -- FF started crashing when I loaded about 7 plugins. Seemed to be mostly tab operations (closing several, etc.) with several open. It got annoying to say the least.

Problem 5: Cache, Cookies, and History -- I use Ontrack to shred browsing history but FF stores cache, history, and cookies in '<system drive>\Docs and Settings\<usr>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox' folder and Ontrack won't let me go in Docs and Settings for file/folder deletion. It's a limitation of Ontrack yes, and even though I finally got a .bat written for my shredder (Eraser (Sami Tolvanen app)) which would do the job, I still like my cache, etc. to conform more to Windows so I can be sure about where my browsing history is being kept.

Problem 6: Launching .url shortcuts -- Even though this is probably more related to Windows or to me, I NeVer could get firefox to handle .url shortcuts correctly. It would launch in FF but Windows would msgbox me that the item couldn't be found. Ended up converting all my .url's in my Favorites folder to .lnk's with an ff.exe target but that's a bad workaround in anybody's book.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Maxthon is quite fast, way faster than FF, out here it is my alternate browser to Opera.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.