Maxthon? No thanks.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pcalvert, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

I decided to try Maxthon last night. I started the installer and was presented with the licence agreement. I started scanning it and this part quickly caught my eye:

Hmmm, seems a little suspicious. I'd better be careful. Then again, maybe I am just being a little paranoid.

I kept scanning the license agreement until my eyes became fixed on this section:

Sorry, there's no way I am agreeing to this. Since there are better ways to handle updates, this just seems a little too suspicious. I pressed the Cancel button and aborted the installation.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass this along in case there's somebody out there who installed the software without bothering to read the EULA (as many tend to do), and for those who may be thinking of trying it.

Phil

Attached Files:

2. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Registered Member

I am a long time user of Maxthon (old MyIE2) and it contains no spyware and no one has anything to worry about with this software. The automatic update can either be used or turned off so if that worries you, don't use it but the way it works is to allow the user to pick and choice the items you wish to update.

3. bktII

bktII Registered Member

4. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

There was a time when I was having a problem with maxthon's searchbar function redirecting me to somewhere else other than google, but I finally figured out it was because of my own configuration. In my opinion, maxthon does a very good job in looking pretty and killing everything but text in my IE usage.

5. pcalvert

That sounds more reasonable. The EULA makes it sound like the updates are automatic and that the user has no control over them, and no choice in the matter.

I will probably go ahead and give Maxthon a try. Mainly just out of curiosity, though, since I can't see it replacing Opera or Firefox.

Phil

6. pcalvert

Thanks for mentioning that. I had noticed the EULAlyzer forum, but never looked into the software itself.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.