Maxthon Cloud Browser 4.1.3.2000 Released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The smooth scroll on this release isn't quite working as right as it did on the previous. Otherwise, great release as always. It even feels snappier than it used to.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. Daveski17

I haven't noticed any difference in scrolling performance. They do seem to have fixed the Night Mode icon bug however. Sometimes when first opening Maxthon the icon would be absent from the GUI & only a restart of the browser brought it back. This was a known recent bug & it looks like they've solved it.

4. Firecat

I do have a smooth scroll issue here and it seems to be tied to the way Maxthon polls the mouse wheel strokes. It might be an issue of my mouse, but IE does not display the same symptoms.

5. Daveski17

I have smooth scroll checked as working. I have known in the past for Maxthon to show odd scrolling behaviour on certain pages, often busy news type pages with lots of widgets & the like. I am not seeing any discernible difference with this release however.

6. Firecat

In the older versions, right clicking on a link and opening in new tab would result in it being loaded in the background. Now it loads in the foreground. Is there an option to change this?

EDIT: Never mind, found it. It's the option for "place new tab on top".

7. Daveski17

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  8. Daveski17

@Firecat, Have you used the Remove Social Media extension? I only use the Flash Block extension normally. I don't think that Maxthon's extensions are always well maintained & tend to fall behind the releases of the browser itself. If I could could figure a way to install QupZilla's adblocking & other filters on to Maxthon it would seriously improve its adblocking abilities.

9. Firecat

I use no extensions whatsoever with Maxthon as I find the included functionality good enough for my needs.

10. Daveski17

OK. I am trialling Remove Social Media on a portable as a bit of an experiment. I think you are wise not using any extensions on Mx to be honest as they are not regularly updated. I do like a flashblocker for security reasons though. I think Mx's adblocker has improved with each release but I do miss the removal of the (Opera-style) content blocker. If I had a wish for Xmas it would be for a really good adblocker for Maxthon. It would be virtually perfect then! ;)

11. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Been using Maxthon since Halloween, the day Opera sent notice they were killing Opera Mail and Opera Presto.
    Gotta say Maxthon works with no hiccups so far.
    Also like being able to switch engines with just one click - esp on Google Street View where Trident works best.
    I have their AdHunter installed along with AdHunter Rules and it blocks everything AdBlock did, so far at least.

12. Daveski17

Quite a few ex-Opera users have switched to Maxthon. I have spoken to many online. I really would like to know why Maxthon discontinued the content blocker though. I know what you mean about Google Street View. I don't use Trident on Maxthon much, but it is a nice option.

As I said earlier, I have been giving the 'Remove Social Media' extension a bit of a run. So far, so good.

Incidentally, you can add other search engines to Maxthon.

https://duckduckgo.com/?&q=

C & P this into the Search URL box in 'Add' in Search Engine Management to give you DuckDuckGo for example.

13. FreddyFreeloader

OK, cool! I was wondering how to add DuckDuckGo to default search. Thanks.

14. Daveski17

You're welcome Freddy. You may find this page on how to add Startpage useful as well.

If you have any problems with the DDG link above try: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s

It is the same as is used in Google Chrome & also works in Maxthon.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  15. Daveski17

Just discovered Remove Social Media blocks the io9 page. This can be remedied by accessing the Extension Manager (via sidebar) & unchecking the extension. I suppose a whitelist or an on/off sidebar button would be nice. Although this would probably bulk the extension somewhat.

I'm still a little ambivalent on whether this extension is that useful. I'll test it a bit more.

16. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ Daveski17, much appreciated your info how to set DuckDuckGo and/or Startpage like the default search engine. :thumb:

With that info I was able to set 'Ixquick' my default search engine - method is similar at Startpage.

P.S.: I'm very satisfied with Maxthon - not anymore Opera. :D

:cool:

17. Daveski17

You're welcome majorMo. It actually took me a while to figure it out. Before that I used the Multi Search, which can be still be useful sometimes. I have Startpage as my default. I have had Ixquick as the default SE before now, they are essentially the same page however.

As far as I can tell, the same syntax for Google Chrome search engines works in Maxthon. I suppose it's a WebKit thing. ;)

18. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

19. Daveski17

Well, to be fair, that is from last year & Maxthon #4 has been released since then. Plus Mx are soon going to change the browser engine to Blink I believe.

As I have no idea what TLS 1.2 is I don't know whether I should be worried about it being supported or not.

As for ASLR use, I don't know how vital that would be to buffer overflow attacks on flash, which is probably the most likely way into a computer for an infection. Hence why I use 'Flash Block' on Maxthon.

I've gotta say that I like Maxthon almost as much as I like SeaMonkey! A lot of former Opera users seem to be switching to SM or Mx.

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

You have a point there.

TLS is Transport Layer Security, the successor of SSL. TLS 1.2 uses SHA-2 hashes and adds newer cipher suites.

I'm also not sure how vital ASLR is on buffer overflow attacks on Flash, but it makes exploiting in general(not just plugins like Flash, but the browser itself as well) harder to exploit and DEP is easy to bypass without ASLR.

21. Daveski17

Oh OK, cheers. :thumb:

Let's hope that Mx are working on this for this new engine layout they're always reminding us about. ;)

22. FreddyFreeloader

I do know Maxthon has zero download protection - it won't block any .exe. MalwareDoctor has a review on YouTube with 20 malicious downloads - it didn't stop any. IE blocked 18, Google Chrome blocked 16.

23. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

However, if you use Sandboxie with Maxthon (as I do with all browsers), the above would not be an issue.

24. Daveski17

Yes, it is worth remembering if you download anything in Mx. I actually have VirusTotal marked as a 'most favourite' & I can access it quickly from the sidebar. It's worth scanning some links before you download anything. I tend to use SeaMonkey to download most things out of sheer habit though. Unless I'm pretty sure the site is OK then I will use Maxthon. If in doubt though VirusTotal is always a good check.

25. Daveski17

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.