maxthon 4

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chrcol, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

maxthon cloud I downloaded it and started using it for testing.

I like the idea of a shared webkit/IE backend but sadly as with all browsers I see gaping flaws.

The worst flaw seems to be there is no per site cookie management, has the maxthon dev really made such a huge oversight?

So if I am right I can either.

Disable cookies for all sites - unticking allow cookies for all sites seems to give this behaviour.
    Enable cookies for ALL first party sites.
    Enable cookies for ALL first and third party sites.

I cant seem to find a way to disable cookies by default and then whitelist as I feel fit, and doesnt seem to be an extension for it either :(

Same with plugins, although I found flash block, I dont want all sites having free reign to run java. Plus I think flash block only works for videos. Unticking allow all sites to run plugins seems to translate to forbid on all sites with no whitelist.

Is maxthon 3 better than maxthon 4 (and still updated?) I can only find v4 on maxthon's website.

In addition seems no viable ad blocking for it either.

2. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Maxthon has a built-in flash player which doesn't have any auto-update, you have to do it manually and it's more trouble than it was worth. Check to see if your's is up-to-date - https://browsercheck.qualys.com/

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some off topic posts removed.

4. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

5. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

seems also is no multi row tab support, maxthon 4 seems incredibly dumbed down compared to old versions :(

I guess the maxthon dev jumped on the simplicity bandwagon :(

still its useful as a youtube browser since youtube on IE is painful and maxthon does at least have a youtube center extension.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

The inbuilt adblocker only works when you switch the browser core to WebKit/Blink; however it does have room for improvement. Mx 4 has a lot of great points, but does tend to fail on others. Swings & roundabouts I guess. ;)

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! That must have been the switch from Gecko to WebKit. :D ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.