Maxthon 1.3.1 or Opera 8 ??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by POOOS, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POOOS

POOOS Guest

Best browser?? Opera 8 or Maxthon? Is maxthon secure?

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I would go hands down with Maxthon. I think in terms of security if you go into options at the top and click disabale Active X and java its safe but id wait for a reply from someone like Bigc or Bubba to be sure on that.

(to be honest ive been planning on posting this question about maxthon myself)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would have to argue that opera is much more secure than maxthon for the simple reason opera doesn't have a known security risk browser as it's core.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree with you, but I only want to say that Maxthon is more secure than IE because you can only use BHO, toolbars, and other stuff that Maxthon author permit...

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe that Opera, just like Firefox, doesn't even have ActiveX, isn't that correct?

Acadia

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Yes but for ease of use, a lot of pages dont let you use Opera, or dont render properly if you do.

I use Firefox as my main and Maxthon as my backup browsers and i am happy.

Plus Opera is Adaware, something i do not wish to support!.

7. bigc73542

I have heard that statement that opera doesn't render some web pages right. I would appreciate it if you would give me the link to one of them as I have never run across one. I would like to check it out.

8. bigc73542

and as far as adware goes here is a screen shot of the ads I have. Hardly distracting. and very little to put up with to have the free version of the best browser there is in my opinion.

Attached Files:

9. shek

shek Registered Member

there are lots of chinese websites, which are compatible with IE only and opera cannot render them correctly. For example, in bt1.btchina.net, opera and firefox cannot display the table. but IE does.

10. bigc73542

I appreciate the link. But I don't go to chinese sites anyways since I don't speak the language.

11. shek

shek Registered Member

to be honest, i never find any english websites which have problems with opera either.

12. bigc73542

We are lucky though to have the choice of all the browsers available, it makes it nice to be able to choose. :D ;)

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I played with Opera once, several months ago. I was able to make the ad quite small actually, but I don't remember how I did it.

Acadia

14. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

I've had rendering problems with some of our internal corporate webpages (expense system, database reporting web interfaces, web conferencing, etc.) with Opera in the past, but otherwise use it for visiting risky sites and have been impressed. Last time I tried Maxthon it was really buggy and not well organized IMHO (about a year ago), don't know if it is better now.

15. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

You might want to consider Deepnet Explorer instead of Maxthon. It looks pretty interesting.

I downloaded it a couple of months ago but never got around to installing it. I might use it as a backup web browser, but not as my main browser.

Take a look:
    Deepnet Explorer

Phil

16. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

This is true - Maxthon may reduce the risks of some spyware but it can't do anything about core Internet Explorer vulnerabilities - whereas Opera 8 has far fewer.
    By default, Opera identifies itself as Internet Explorer to avoid problems with certain brain-damaged websites - however I have noticed that the forum Thread Tools, Search Thread and Display Mode droplists normally displayed at the bottom are not visible with Opera 8.x (they were with Opera 6). Since they are visible at vBulletin.com (which is running version 3.5 beta compared to 3.07 here) I presume this is an issue with vBulletin that will be fixed once 3.5 is publicly available.
    While the unregistered version of Opera does display advertising, it does not involve the installation of extra software or the collection of personal data - you can choose either generic ads or ones "related" to the website you visit. See Opera's Banner Advertising Implementation page for more details. Compared to most other adware, Opera does give you rather more control and has a number of advantages to compensate - even if you don't pay to register.
    The Google Text Ads are just two lines at the top (though you lose your toolbar) and can be selected via Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Advertising/Show relevant text ads... - they can be blocked using Proxomitron or a similar web filter but registering is the proper way to get rid of them.

17. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

The only webpages that are not shown perfectly in Opera are those who are not w3c.org compliant.

see: http://www.w3.org

The reason is that in most cases this is an implementation of one Company,
    and if you can see the page correclty, it means that your browser has some
    serious vulnerabilities.

If you want to be able to see all pages, perhaps you must test the new
    Netscape browser 8.0.x which has an option to switch between
    Firefox (safe) and Internet Exploder (unsafe) view.

Although this new browser is not very stable yet!

i've tested a lot of browsers, and i prefer Opera,
    because it is still the fastes! and one of the safest browsers out there,
    has features others have not.

2nd is Firefox

3th Netscape latest version, very nice features, for testing you just built webpages, but sadly ...still ..unstable

then there or few dozen more and at the end is Internet Explorer.

Which is unsafe.
    Which slows down your system.
    Is to far intergrated in OS.
    Has ALWAYS been behind on security over the years!!

b.t.w.
    I think it is rather strange that Opera is that much faster then Firefox.

;)

18. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Opera, no issues seen by now. I read there are no bugs to patch right now.
    The ad I blocked.

19. SvS

SvS Security Expert

To be fair, Opera has some rendering problems (mostly CSS related) which will prevent even 100% valid HTML pages from displaying correctly. The "Standard Compliance" fairy tale is usually brought into the game by the developers every time their rendering engine has problems. In addition, if a single missing end tag in a nested layout or a single vendor specific tag in the pages CSS destroys the entire page design, "Standard Compliance" is just a poor excuse IMO.

20. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Well, come to mention it, I encountered a number of crashes with Opera 8 (typically when entering a long response on a forum thread too...bah! :(). However the 8.01 beta (preview 1 build 7583, available from the Opera for Windows - Previews and Betas page) seems to have fixed that problem.

21. Jamestaylor

Jamestaylor Guest

BTW Maxthon has a known link with steadysearch, a well known scumbag company that uses browser hijacking and other evil practises.

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I also don'r agree that Maxthon have a search link to "Steady Search"...

23. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Not on my machine. Firefox owned Opera bigtime. Unless there are some tweaks for Opera (like FF has) then the results on my machine did not show that at all.

Firefox opened and rendered pages MUCH faster than Opera for me.

Windows XP SP2
    P4 3.0ghz
    1.5GB RAM

Jag

P.S. K-Meleon on the other hand, now that is a fast browser! :eek:

24. jamestaylor

jamestaylor Guest

25. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.