Max number of backups...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tcgass, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcgass

tcgass Registered Member

Hi
    I was running ATI10 succesfully and upgraded recently to the new ATI11 - again I still have one major problem I can't get rid of: on my PC I make a full-backup and 6 incremental backups everyday. I've created a backup location on a free harddisk limiting the maximum backup number to 8. That way I always have a full backup and the following inc-backups available.
    The problem is: from time to time ATI doesn't care about the maximum backup limitation and simply fills up my backup location. Does anybody have a hint why this might be?
    Thomas

2. KennethS

KennethS Registered Member

Howdy,

I have no idea why you would be having that problem, but do have a suggestion that will prevent the problem:

Schedule a Full Backup to create Backup-1 on Monday, and a Full Backup to create Backup-2 on Tuesday. Schedule any incrementals against these that you wish.

Then, the next time Monday rolls around the week-old copy of Backup-1 will be "overwritten" by the new version.

With that technique, you will never have more than the two full images (plus any incrementals) so the set will not keep getting larger (except in the sense that the amount of stuff on the system you are backing up may increase.)

In any case, using this approach, you can have as many backups as you want, without the risk of filling the image-holding disk.

All the best,

Kenneth

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I get worried when I see that people are concerned at having many backups be they several full images or images plus incrementals or differentials.
    If these backups are stored in one place you only have one backup. Should the drive where you are storing these backups fail you will have None,Zero, Ziltch backups.
    Think about it and arrange to have another source to recover or boot from.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.