Matousec Test of Outpost

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jad123, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jad123

jad123 Registered Member

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Well it looks, that Matousek's test are really doing a great job by forcing developers to work out mistakes in the engine, which most people would never know about, instead of just fixing GUI and so on.

3. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Agreed.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Anything that can make the "vendor" look and improve their product is good(very)
    The more I learn, the deeper I look into these products (not only outpost), and improvement is certainly needed.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Good one. ;)

This excellent firewall is taking barely 6megs of RAM on my system (I mean, this new build)! I have used this before, and it always occupied around 20megs. Improvements in every aspect. :)
    I may even switch from Jetico to Outpost for a while, who knows... A rather hard decision...

6. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

I installed this build of Outpost, but returned to Jetico.
    Outpost occupies 38 MB RAM, and after this instllation I had many lags and slowdowns.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

:blink: :blink:

:blink: :blink:

8. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

depends what pluigins you have active, most are useless, only one really needed is the attack detection plugin

9. Get

Get Guest

Max 13 Mb here with only Content-plug-in disabled and after updating a lot/surfing a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

On my computer it's 6 mb and it still freezes at startup (at least it has this last week) and this is for Outpost Firewall Pro ver. 4.0.1024.7809 (700) and no plugins disabled. I had many lags and slowdowns too.

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

In my case I have touched nothing. All the plugins are active, memory used is 5.8something. As a matter of fact I have used previous builds of Outpost for quite a while (from august last year up until february 07) and I have noticed that the RAM usage is the same even when I disable all the plugins (except attack detection and third-party PCflank WhoEasy). Hmmm... :doubt:

OK, I got it. :) Working beautifully for some, but not for others - so it still needs some polishing. Well, I guess I'll check Outpost forums now... and some comments there.

Bye. :)

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Outpost's memory usage will vary depending on what applications are running and their network activity - file sharing applications in particular (with dozens, hundreds or even thousands of active connections) can result in a significant increase here.

13. TraCKs

TraCKs Registered Member

All of a sudden Matousec gives a good review of outpost and hes the best expert around. Seems to me that it wasnt all that long ago with his bad review of outpost that he was a money grabbing crackpot that didnt have a clue that he was on about... Who knows maybe outpost will make a sticky out of Matousecs latest review.:)

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I remember...:ninja:

15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yes, you bring up a good point. Does anyone know how credible this guy is? I know I don't, though it does appear at least a few of the well known security vendors - Checkpoint and Agnitum at least - are taking his leaktests seriously.

I would sure like it if Matousec were to sign up at Wilders and post some comments and basically just give us some info on his background, as well as something to validate his claims. He seems to be a rather obscure entity at present, especially given the vague information he provides about his colleagues and himself on his website.

16. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Nah, it's pretty obvious from the very start he knows his stuff, his business practices is another matter. But some people can't keep those two apart.

Anyone with half a brain can figure out that in many ways he knows more about security than most of us would dream of even having.

Looks like the old "if the developer signs up here and hobnobs with us commoners here, we suddenly like him and his product" effect.

Come on, unlike most security software developers who need to impress and charm us guys so we feel positively towards him and his stuff (the nice guy effect), Matousec has no need to pander to people like us just to prove he knows his stuff. His work is his best evidence. Plus he doesn't sell to us end users anyway.

Besides what could he say that could convince us that he knows his stuff, besides what is already mentioned in the about page? Would telling us his lifestory help? Would having a charming personality mean we automatically believe he is a top notch expert?

17. Seer

Seer Registered Member

What comments? There are comments on Matousec site...
    Actually, you can't be sure that he/she's not doing that already.
    Right?
    ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  18. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Well I'm glad Agnitum made some improvements as I use Outpost Firewall Pro and like it very much. I do remember when the Matousec's tests came out and Outpost didn't do so well not so long ago. I was a bit disappointed at the time, but overall I have been very happy with Outpost Firewall and it runs excellent on my computers which all have very different hardware. I love using the combo of Nod32 AV and Outpost Firewall Pro and hope that future versions run as well together as they do now.

19. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Who says he needs to pander or hobnob with us, let alone charm us with his personality? You don't want to know anything about his testing methods? I guess you already have that figured out :rolleyes:

20. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

lol yeh, very funny on the agnitum forums how the moderators disable the links to matousecs site, maybe they will now allow it
    haha mooks

21. TraCKs

TraCKs Registered Member

That was my attempt at humor referring to the outpost forum. I seen the hammering matousecs last outpost review got got from some of the outpost mods and Im now wondering with his positive review, how that will be accepted? (personally I think he thrives on scare mongering, but is that any different from how most of the Firewall Vendors behave in wanting us to buy there software?)

22. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

His testing methodology is described and detailed in great detail on the website already , though it's does get a wee bit technical. Try looking at the website again, there is quite a rich source of data there to be mined.

You have any specific questions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.