Matousec - COMODO 100% again

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Prole, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prole

Prole Registered Member

2. Creer

Creer Registered Member

LOL

They've added LNS to this HIPS (mainly) test... :thumbd:

3. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Having programs that don't perform well in their biased and basically rigged tests makes those on top look really good. And that's the idea - they want to make the companies that pay regularly happy so they continue to pay in the future.

4. gery

gery Registered Member

seriously fellows is there a good reason to believe these test? I am using Viper and the firewall did miserably bad here. Is there a good answer to this test i mean something to be reliable. Now we can all say it is crap but is this the right approach? Why crap? and if it is not crap but rather significant test i will switch to something else tomorrow

5. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

I know I shouldn't but I ran their tests just using my AV - it blocked 126 of them that mean Avira is much better than what they are claiming.

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

The problem is that with such a dearth of quality firewall or HIPS comparitive tests in recent times,Matousec receives far more attention than it merits.

7. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Any software developer that isn't paying Matousec for his scam, will not achieve a high score. Also, if David Matousec isn't compensated.... he'll even go as far as Removing a fiewall from his list as he did with Online Armor. Since HIPS is an option, he fails to understand what the true function of a pure firewall like LnS is.

8. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

well, nod32 and avira lacks of hips sure is not looking good, you can not like masotec but if the test are performed as described in the pdf I think its fair.

9. guest

guest Guest

to compare with them, u must do in the same way they do, with the same settings of Avira they do. did u?

10. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

From
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/
    I love it, most amusing :)

11. SteveBlanchard

Straight out the box settings. W7 Home premium.

12. gvvsss

gvvsss Registered Member

What evidence do you have to state that Comodo is paying for Matousec Tests. They topped the tests does not simply mean that they paid for that. Please provide any valid flaws in the test or any valid issues where in you can prove that they are biased towards one or the other company.

13. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Sure..... His testing is "Free", LoL! Care to explain as to why David failed to produce the results for Online Armor?

14. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I gave up on Matousec a long time ago...and this does nothing to change that view. :thumbd:

15. SteveBlanchard

I've just had a look at the tests and after each test whichever product failed that test is not tested again. That to me would suggest the tests are flawed.

Just because the product fails the test is no reason to stop testing it on the other tests. A product could fail test 1 and then pass all the other tests. Obviously this won't topple the usual suspect, but it might just might make the results more :blink: believable?

16. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Matousec owner has changed some time ago.

17. Prole

Prole Registered Member

Haha
    I see this is where the "U" and "D" in FUD gets posted.

You guys are just so predictable.

I'm thinking of installing Comodo IS...what do you think?
    Wise move?

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Some thoughts.

1. Matousec generally does tests every six months. Free.

2. If a vendor fixes something and wants tests more often, he pays. So this can lead to looking better at a cost.

3. Online Armor was removed because of a money dispute between matousec and Tall emu. Now that EMSI owns Online Armor he wants them to pay what he thinks Tallemu owes them

4. If your program of choice passes all his tests, you can rest assured you are 100% protected, if you ever encounter them in the wild. (sorry for the sarcasm)

5. As to the value of the tests. Does any seriously think they bad guys can't determine what the tests are and develop work arounds.

6. Personally I think this whole thing is one huge marketing ploy, and at this point, I wish the other vendors would just get off.

Pete

19. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Dude thats what they do!!
    Matousec charges for his services!

20. gvvsss

gvvsss Registered Member

That should clear the misconceptions in your mind..

Any vendor (Online Armor or Comodo) only pays if they want to get tested again (other than the regular free test), not to be positioned No.1. Catch the logic here. Even if you pay to get tested, perform poor, you will be positioned at the bottom(not on the top just because you paid...)

Try to think pure.. and don't be biased if you want to be in the security world..Be brave to accept failures too...

It is not that COMODO is the greatest just because they did best in some tests... nor that some other product is worst just because it did not..besides, this is just a HIPS test, not the definition test and therefore it just tests a part of the product.

The tests usually give us a chance to prove our strengths, learn where we are failing and improve in those areas, what so ever company we belong to or like.

If you really have a valid point which proves that the tests really are biased or not done properly, you are always welcome to contact the Matousec team and ask for a clarification.

21. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

don't just try, think pure and see the glaring flaw in the tests.

22. fax

fax Registered Member

This was discussed many times before and we always end up with the same conclusions:

- questionable approach (more you pay more you get tested, ad-hoc settings for products, not pass one... fail all, etc...)
    - far from reality

Proactive Security Challenge
    Matousec 01/25/2011
    Proactive Security Challenge (Matousec) vs. real malware

Shound't we have a single thread and not to get the same story over and over again at every new test? Getting boring....

Btw, where is OA free test? They have issues with payments and why they have not left the one they did for free? Also some of the products listed are from 2009. Where are the free test?

I think software companies should jump off the Matousec vagon and left him alone... may be they have already started doing it?

23. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Open a simple PDF file and Comodo's protection score lowers from 100% to 0% :)

24. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

How so?

25. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

if nothing each test case from Matousec is provided with source code

so "IF" it's really issue any 'product' can adopt and setup defence
    (i know sometimes it takes time to do so)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.