Martial arts and associated hobbies.

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by `mishimasan`, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

Associated hobbies I guess means.... Hmmm. Ok, just Martial arts then. That's what I opened this thread to talk about. I heard a dude (Skym)in the Member Introductions talk about collecting 'Samurai swords', and I couldn't help but mention a sword that I would love to own:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product...+Pro+Katana.htm

Now I don't know how many of you that use these great forums actually like or participate in martial arts, but if you don't, then don't worry because I don't participate in martial arts either (not for some time now). So just trust me that it can be interesting to talk with each other about things that have been learned or things that people want to learn, and we can start to see how the ancient ways of our ancestors or the more modern styles have an affect on us today.

I used to study various forms from the far-east, such as Shotokan Karate, Tang Soo Do, Tai Sudo (modern customisation), Judo, Jui-jitsu, Aikido and Kung-fu (northern style - don't ask me the name I really can't remember as I didn't study it more than one lesson!).

I studied for about 4 years in total, which isn't a lot considering many people make it a way of life, but I had a great time, and I would really consider starting again - probably with Shotokan karate because A. It was my favourite, and B. I studied it the most out of all the styles I tried.

Does anyone else study martial arts or, has anyone ever studied martial arts? What do/did you think of it??

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Don't know about Martial Arts? But I've a black belt in the 'Marital Arts'....Yes Dear!....No Dear!....Washing up!....Vacuuming!....Grocery shopping etc! :D

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thats what I like to see Buck.....a real Man who knows his place.....I find it comforting to know I'm not alone.....I'm mustard with a Steam iron... you name it, I'll press it......I'am known in Manly ironing circles as Cochise the 'Creaser'......you could eat your Dinner off my Trousers...... :D

Cochise, :cool:

4. `mishimasan`

Hahaha. If I said that about my partner, she wouldn't be my partner for much longer... :blink:.

5. BeetleBoss

BeetleBoss She who posts lots of <I>Smileys</I>

You good obedient husband!! http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/hug1.gif

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

That's enough to put me off my food! :D

7. `mishimasan`

I think that this is a hint at me to stop the posting about non-IT related things, since I have had no replies about "martial arts" at all during the course of a few days... Hmmm, lol? :oops:

8. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Hi mishimasan, :)

Don't give up just yet.
    The ones here at Wilders 10-F, that are able to be serious for
    1 Second, will come around......(hopefully :rolleyes: )

But...don't count on it ! :p

:eek: :D :D ;)

9. `mishimasan`

Ok, thanks :D

10. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Here I am mishimasan!

The one person here that knows when to be serious and get down to brass tacks. Unfortunately Big Buck and Cochise have already expressed all of the pertinent ones available on this subject so I'll refrain from further comment.

SURPRISE!!!!

Play on, big ed

11. ~*Nat*~

Oh yeah?

Then let me ask you. Have the poor ones, with soiled pants and shirts, from
    spilled coffee you have caused, asked you yet to pay their dry-cleaning fees ??

But that's another subject.....;)

12. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey Nat,

Itsa no fair. I think that Blackspear, Big Buck, Cochise, Dog, and a slew of others should be assessed the ducks...err...lions share of the cleaning tab. I'm just a teeny cog in a humongeous wheel.

Cleaning up in Peoria, big ed

13. ~*Nat*~

Ok Ok. But then you must stand up for yourself, and learn some
    martial arts to fend for yourself and stand up for yourself.

The wheel could be very easily broken in half with one hand-swoosh ! (err..I hope that's the right word....)

14. `mishimasan`

Maybe people should look into the martial art of coffee-stain evading. As in, "Matrix-stylesque movements with a cup and saucer..." as reviewed by the Daily Pile newspaper.

15. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Swoosh is good! Kinda tells it all in one....err........swoosh!

In all fairness to mishmush guy, a little Martial Arts expertise would have served me well a while back. My work partner and I had a job that required us to walk from the Brooklyn, Ny side of the East River to the Mid-Southern shore of Long Island. Going thru Bklyn took us about 5 wks and our instructions during that time was to get there early and leave before 2 PM before the residents woke up. We never worked so fast in our lives.

Play on, big ed

16. `mishimasan`

17. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi - It is simply not just sword waving and kicks & so forth. There is style, grace and performance involved as well. A member of my family [has a black belt] has won 1st place North American awards in style, grace, performance, etc. and has trophies to prove it. He also instructed in Kempo Kung Fu. Do you think you can do 60 pushups without breaking into a sweat? Are you prepared to bruise your hands and feet in the process of learning? Are you prepared to use real swords in competitions?

:D Those performing martial arts at home to a tune - play on mates!! Sounds like y'all are having fun. :D

Cheers Peaches.

18. `mishimasan`

It sounds like he's very successful at what he likes. Does he have a webpage or anything that I could read about him online?

19. `mishimasan`

I totally agree. I am much more interested with the style than anything else. I regarded myself as a 'technique man' rather than a 'speed' or 'power man', although it's nice to qualify in those areas aswell.

Making my Sensei smile gave me a sense of pride. I loved the dojo - I loved being there, I loved being taught and I loved everything about the Japanese tradition (the discipline and courtesy involved in each session). Shotokan and the other Japanese styles that I studied most definately taught me some valuable lessons on how to behave and respect.

20. Peaches4U

Sorry, he had no webpage. This lad is a big guy who won on style, grace, performance as well as the ability to spar. He swung over to his next love and learned to become a pilot - got his licence and now back in school learning computer generated animation and skinning. If u have a love of martial arts, go for it and work your butt off to achieve and the rewards will be tenfold. :)

21. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Cochise is being modest, he actually wins competitions!

Attached Files:

22. Marja

A couple of my brothers used to take Kung-Fu and during that time terrorized everyone with the nunchuks(sp), I thought to learn them too.
    I did OK for a week, decided I could go faster and promptly knocked myself out cold with them, haven't picked up anything bigger than a toothpick since.

23. `mishimasan`

OUCH. Do you have an imprint you could show us?

24. Marja

LOL!! I am sure it was there, but, my eyesight was very limited for a week or so, I just stuck to watching martial arts movies, I love them!!

I also would someday learn to sword dance, I think it looks so exciting! I love the grace of it all and the suprise moves they do in martial arts, used to really like Cynthia Rockwell , the China O'Brien movies, she seems to have disappeared or something.

I understand how it could take up your life, but, I think it may be coming back in the US, lots, of youngsters are taking at the behest of their parents who are scared of kidnappings and child predators, I just hope it doesn't give them a sense of false security. Do you think it will?

What do you call that study that uses big sticks and big masks? I always heard if you could stick fight, that's all you would ever need? True?

Marja:cool:

25. Peaches4U

Marja - If one learns martial arts beyond the basics, then one need not have any sense of false security. This young man I speak of was once attacked from behind by three men in an underground parkade - by using his hands and feet swiftly, he was able to bring all three down within a matter of a few minutes. Needless to say the cowards fled.

I think in today's day & age, it is wise to learn some form of self-defence, especially women. As an example, I learned that if I were to be grabbed from behind in a choke hold that I should not use my hands to free the choke hold but to use my fingers to poke the perpetrator in the eyes or use my fist to hit his groin. Also, use the heels of my shoes to stomp on his toes. Ouch!! :) Marja - unless one carries a stick around, I fail to see how that would help defend oneself but the knowledge of using your hands and feet which are always with you, are beneficial in the act of self defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.