Mapquest Problems in Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nineine, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineine

nineine Registered Member

Anybody else having issues using Firefox with mapquest.com? I just tried using Mapquest to find a location and also to get directions, but it wont work. When I connect to the site I can see the map of North America shown. But if I type in locations and click on get map or get directions, nothing happens. It doesn't even try to load another page. I have Noscript and Cookie Monster set to allow scripts and cookies for mapquest.com. Ghostery and Adblock are disabled. I dont think Flashblock, or Better Privacy should have any effect on Mapquest. Also, Java and Javascript in the options of Firefox are enabled. Mapquest is working fine in Internet Explorer. Help please? :doubt:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, same issue here. I allowed all scripts on the website (which is all you need to have enabled for there, Ghostery and the like wouldn't affect it), and it doesn't budge.

3. nineine

Did Mapquest previously work fine for you in Firefox, and if so how long ago? I know it used to work fine for me, but I don't exactly remember when because I haven't been to their site in many months. So I'm not sure if the cause is something that has changed in the configuration of my Firefox + FF extensions/plug-ins, or something that has changed on Mapquest's end.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I haven't used them in a while, admittedly, so your guess is as good as mine. The last time I did use it, late last year, it did work fine in Firefox.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

nineine, with my FF 3.6, if I select Temporarily Allow All This Page in the NoScript Options, Mapquest works.

If I allow each .com individually, I need to allow mapquest.com, mqcdn.com and aolcd.com to activate the map function. The last aol.com does not need to be allowed for the map to work. Just FYI.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wish my FF 3.6 was as nice as yours, I activated the mentioned scripts and still no dice.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

dw426, let's compare Add-ons to see if that's the issue.

I have Adblock Plus, ColorZilla, DownloadHelper, Firebug, Java Console, NoScript (with EasyList), Perspectives, Web Developer, and YouTube to MP3 installed.

What do you have?

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

AdBlockPlus with Easylist, BetterPrivacy, JavaQuickStart, .Net Framework Assistant, NoScript, WeatherWatcher Live and WOT.

9. nineine

I already trying allowing all of those with NoScript, and I even tried allowing scripts globally. It still wouldn't work for me.

I have quite a few extensions, although some of them are minor ones & most of them are not security/privacy based. My extensions are Ad-block Plus & Element Hiding Helper(w/ EasyList+EasyPrivacy), Add to Search Bar, Auto Copy, BetterPrivacy, Brief, Context Search, Cookie Monster, Download Statusbar, Flashblock, Ghostery, Greasemonkey, Menu Editor, NoScript, Organize Status Bar, Personal Menu, Personas, Screengrab, Session Manager, StrataBuddy, Tab Mix Plus, Text2Link, TrackMeNot, & Yet Another Smooth Scrolling. I am using the Strata40 Skin(FF 4.0 Mockup Skin) with v3.5.6 of Firefox. I imagine that all of the above is not very helpful, because I have many more extensions than you do. :)

EDIT: BTW, here's something rather odd for all of you to take note of... Try going to mapquest.co.uk using Firefox. It worked perfectly fine for me in FF and all I had to do was allow mapquest.com & mapquest.co.uk with NoScript. I didn't even have to allow cookies or disable any other extension.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

dw426, nothing stands out. I only have 2 of yours (ABP + EasyList and NS).

nineine, yes, you do have more add-ons that dw426 and I combined!

There are several Mapquest solutions in the Firefox Support page. Perhaps you need to review them to see if any will work for you.

Edit: mapquest.co.uk does work, like you said. Weird!

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can't even change default locations, every button there just does nothing. Maybe in 3.6.1, lol.

Edit: Lol, what the heck? Mapquest UK works beautifully here also.

12. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

dw426 & nineine,

Any luck with Mapquest when running Firefox in safe mode?

nineine,

I think you can probably dump Flashblock.....NoScript has a built in Flash blocker.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I haven't tried it in Safemode.

Edit: No change in Safemode.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Ahh, the intricacies of Webmastering. ;) The US site must be full of scripts, yet... it works on my end.

Years ago, I used Mapquest, but with Google Maps and now Bing Maps, the world has passed them by, IMO.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Maybe the UK again is ahead in support over the U.S. I've often noticed other countries are faster to support newer browsers and the like over their U.S counterparts....or again I have crappy luck with Firefox, lol.

16. nineine

Thanks for the link JRViejo... Still no luck. I looked through the Firefox Support page in the link that you provided and nothing worked for me. I tried deleting the mapquest.com cookies folders, emptying the cache, and creating a new profile. Even in the new profile with everything as default like a brand new Firefox, Mapquest acted the same way.

I haven't tried safe mode yet, but I guess there's no point since dw426 just did with no luck. I believe safe mode would get the same result as a fresh profile anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The reason I use Flashblock is because some pages like blogs or RSS feeds, post lots of embedded flash videos or song players on a single page. Rather then showing all of them, I can use Flashblock to replace them all with a placeholder image. Then all I have to do is click on the one that I want to watch/listen to and it'll play. If I have sites like Vimeo or Youtube set to permanently allowed in NoScript, then they will all be loaded at the same time on the page that I am viewing.

I could set NoScript to block embedded objects even if their on the whitelist. But if I click on an embedded video's NoScript placeholder to unblock and watch the video and then I refresh the page, that video will still be unblocked. With Flashblock the placeholder is always put on embedded objects, even if I click on the Flashblock placeholder and then refresh the page. Also if I have NoScript set to block embedded objects even if their whitelisted, I cannot use my Youtube HD Ultimate Greasemonkey script with Youtube.

You know, I think that statement may not be so true. From what I've read online, people seem to think Mapquest can give superior directions than their competitors. Also they now have a feature called 360View which is the equivalent of Google StreetView. Although 360View probably doesn't support as many cities as StreetView yet.

[Note: All of the above has been edited multiple times to be less confusing.]

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

nineine, it was worth a shot and you're welcome.

nineine, it was just my opinion. However, even Bing is upping the ante with Google Maps, with their Bing Maps 3D, so the Map World battles continue.

Hang in there. Hopefully, someone might post another suggestion soon. Take care.

JR

18. nineine

Wow, I didn't know about Bing Maps 3D. That could be a really great feature if it's done right. I guess they all are better than each other in their own little ways.

Yes JRViejo, I hope so. For now I will use Mapquest UK until a solution is found. You take it easy as well! :thumb:

19. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.