Many hours before progress bar starts to move

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AJP61, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJP61

AJP61 Registered Member

Hi,

I am using TI home V11 on Vista.
    I am backing up 2x500Gb HD's onto an external 1.5Tb drive.
    I selected a file backup where I selected what I wanted backed up.
    The backup process commenced and is still going, according to the icon in the system tray, but after many hours, progress is 0%, with seemingly nothing happening. It appears to have not locked up, and is consuming 25% of my resources doing something.
    My question is, is this working properly? How many hows does it take doing something in the background before it actually starts copying files? This is rather absurd. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to select the files and then commence copying. We are talking about 370Gb and 200Gb of data being backed up.
    Can someone give me some insight here please as to how long before it normally takes before file copying actually starts?

Adrian

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The progress indicator on ATI 11 sucks big time. Sometime it indicates with relative accuracy and sometimes it doesn't update and jsut shows 0.

Figure that your backup should take about 1-2 mintues per GB of actuall bytes to be backed up, depending on your hardware. If your backup is taking significantly longer than that, then it's probably in a loop or hung and not getting anything accomplished.

3. AJP61

AJP61 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. How is it possible to be up to V11 release and not have something as simple as a progress bar move, even if it isn't accurate?

At 1-2 minute/Gb that means 570-1140minutes in my case. No way in the world am I waiting that long to know if it is working or hung. That's absurd.

Hopefully support can respond with a solution. I need to know if the software is working as intended.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

When doing backups of smaller, 10-20GB, partitions, TI 11 will sit for a while before the progress bar starts to move. I'm guessing that it is doing some sort of indexing in preparation for the actual compressing and writing. This can be several minutes for a backup that eventually takes 10-20 minutes. So, by comparison, your system might sit for a couple of hours before the progress bar starts to move. Ugh!

You might try backing up only the smaller partition as a test, or an even smaller partition if you have one to be sure the system is working correctly.

If you didn't set the backup to highest priority when creating the backup job, that might help a little.

A backup as large as yours is going to be very time consuming unless you get a faster drive to back up to. eSATA would be much better. Of course, backing up to an internal drive would also be much faster.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

AJP61, if I correctly understood you, you tried to perform files and folders backup. If this is correct, please do the following to work around the problem:

- Run Backup Wizard;

- As soon as "Choose Backup Options" window appears, select "Set the options manually";

- In the "Backup Creation Options" window set "Compression level" to "None";

- Proceed with the backup.

See the article Acronis True Image 11 Home Freezes During "Files and folders" or "System State" Backup for more information.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.