Manually initiated scan does not complete?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by csamanta, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csamanta

csamanta Registered Member

When I initiate a scan manually from the control center, it appears to run fine for some time. But after a while (of course when I'm not watching) the window disappears, but the log reports (even days later) that the scan is still running (status "cleaning" or "scanning"). The file counts all show 0. The log file cannot be deleted, presumably because a process is still attached to it.

When I run a scheduled scan (exactly same scan settings all the way), it appears to complete just fine, the file counts look correct, etc.

Everything runs under Admin privileges. The advanced settings have been done similarly to Blackspear's guidelines.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi csamanta, welcome to WIlders.

What operating system?

Cheers :D

3. csamanta

Hi, sorry about not providing the basic info (I ought to know better).

I'm running Nod32 2.7 (latest from the eset website as of about 10 days ago, plus automated updates), on Windows XP Home. 1GB RAM, no disk space concerns, nothing heavy running on the system at the same time.

Thanks for your help -- let me know if there is other info I can provide, or if there's something I can try.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi . Reinstall NOD32 to fix that problem :

1) Download a fresh copy of NOD32 for your correct operating system
    Trial version Full paid version

2) Goto Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs and Uninstall NOD32

3) Reboot

4) Goto C:\Program files and manually delete the folder ESET

5) Install NOD32 from the file you just downloaded in step 1
    Use Typical settings

6) Make sure you have stable i-net connection and NOD32 (nodkrn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall and Update NOD

7) Configure NOD32 as shown here

Enjoy !!! :D

5. csamanta

Thanks for the advice. Could I please have a little more information about this?

Is there a bug that was fixed? (If not, I could be going through some work just to try something.)

Also, why is a full reinstall necessary vs. an "overlay" upgrade? Surely a reinstall is not needed for every upgrade?

Thanks again for the help.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What upgrade are you talking about ? You mentioned you already upgraded to version 2.7 . Yes , reinstall is not necessary for every upgrade , it is just a problem in your case . I do suggest you reinstall using the steps because you definitely have problems , reinstalling NOD32 will most likely fix them :thumb:

Pls , reinstall and report back your results

7. csamanta

HiTech Boy, are you part of the Eset team, or a helpful bystander?

Either way, let's be clear. You're just guessing that a reinstall will clear things up. And if it doesn't, hey it was my time, didn't cost you anything.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

NOD32 reseller and working as an IT .

9. Blackspear

As you are the only one in front of your computer, best guesses through experience are all that can ever be offered, and I would be suggesting the same thing.

10. csamanta

Blackspear, I do understand that folks are giving the best advice they can, and I do appreciate their attempts to help. :thumb:

However, I would mildly disagree with your statement.

(1) "Reinstall and try again" is a lot of work, it should not be suggested casually, and in my view not without saying "I can't think of anything else to try" or "here's the problem that you need to clean up by reinstalling"

(2) In general there might be other things to suggest to diagnose or fix the problem, such as options to set, log files to check, registry settings to verify, permissions to check, diagnostics to run, etc. Is the product so opaque that nothing like this comes to mind?

(3) Interestingly, no one suggested that I email support at eset; I wonder why that is?

11. Blackspear

It is not bandied about casually, this method takes about 3 minutes to complete and fixes the greater majority of issues with NOD32.

Now if you want hours of hunting the needle in the haystack then this is the very route required.

You are on the Official NOD32 Support forum, that answer is a last resort and generally not required. In most instances the experience of users, staff and Eset Moderators is more than suffice to provide the appropriate solution to the issue at hand.

12. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

I have had this problem and a re-install did cure it but I suspect the email archive module on one particular machine in NOD32. For some reason it kept losing it's settings. You could try enabling 'list all files' then check the log file to see where it stops and if it's just before getting to an email dbx file then that may well be the problem. I ended up disabling mailbox scan as it was making one machine auto-scan unreliable and Imon should pick up any incoming threats.

HTH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.