Manually Clearing MRU List

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by LiquidWu, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiquidWu

LiquidWu Registered Member

Personally, I like to do things manually (educational purposes), so how would I go about getting rid of the list without messing up the registry? ...Or is there a way...

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Since there are numerous programs that make use of MRU lists (all in different parts of the registry), it would take quite a while to find them all manually.

That said, here's a site that should get you off to a good start:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/RegistryMRU.htm

It has a list of some common registry-based MRU locations.

I hope this helps! :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. LiquidWu

LiquidWu Registered Member

Excellent, thanks a lot!

And what about deleting the registries? I assume that "just deleting" them would be a bit dangerous.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

You should always be careful when manually messing around with your registry - I would make a full backup before making any changes (i.e. you can export certain keys and all of their subkeys - do this - also make a System Restore Point).

Deleting the whole system registry would essentially prevent your computer from booting up completely, if at all.

But deleting the subkeys mentioned in that site above should be ok. Just make sure you have browsed to the correct subkey, and that the data inside looks like MRU entries (you'll get the hang of what these look like after you search around a bit).

That doesn't mean it still isn't dangerous - and any site that claims to provide correct information could always be trying to provide you with purposefully incorrect instructions, so as to cause damage.

I guess all I can say is: make sure you make a backup, and a System Restore Point before trying anything. And, if you are still uneasy, read up on the registry more (and especially about the things you shouldn't do) before trying anything.

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. OlRoy

OlRoy Registered Member

I'd like to know too. I've found that site before, but i know there are a whole lot of other registry keys where information can be found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.